capacitor advice- these caps OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ECQ-E2475KB Panasonic Electronic Components | P10987-ND | DigiKey

ECQE(B) Series | Film Capacitors | Passive & Electromechanical | Industrial Devices | Panasonic Global

I'm going to be building an iterative audio circuit and I will need some coupling and feedback network caps of various values. I am also going to experiment with using different caps for local bypass to see if I can clean the sound up a little (you never know) and if I decide to go that route I'll be buying some caps in 25 lots (nice price break). I don't want to mess around with large and expensive (and dubious) boutique caps, and the circuit layout is going to be busy enough already. I just want caps that are linear and that won't color the sound. Small = good.

I have read a lot of the rants about capacitors here (and elsewhere) and it motivated me to do some research. I found out that different types of caps have different linearity under different conditions and that polyester caps were linear without DC bias which means (in theory) that they should perform well as coupling and feedback network caps. So I've been surfing around and these were the cost effective caps I found. (I will probably need about 30 "budget audio grade" caps if I decide to use them for local bypass.) I want to know if I'm barking up the right tree.

So any advice or relevant comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

polypropylene have become so inexpensive (compared to 20years ago) that for passing audio signal, they have no economic equal.

For supply decoupling, use higher esr capacitors.

Have you read Bateman?

Thanks. I have always used non polarized electrolytics :eek: for coupling because I was trained for industry, not hi fi. Then I did some research on my own and it validated some of what until very recently I had dismissed as woo.

I intend to use electrolytics, poly, and ceramic for local decoupling. I also intend to use electrolytic capacitor "banks" instead of big electrolytics. It's the iteration theme, you know ;) . We will see what I come up with.

I will read Bateman, thanks Andrew.:)

My background too is industry, what is the Bateman that you recommend reading?

Here's a summary. Capacitor Characteristics It uses Thevenin equivalent circuits to examine real world characteristics of various capacitors. I must take some time myself to scrutinise it.

I read an article where someone actually scoped a bunch of different capacitor's transfer characteristics under various conditions (frequency, DC bias, voltage, etc) and it was very eye opening. I should have bookmarked it :wchair: . Real empirical evidence is what convinces me, and this article changed my mind. I will try to dig it up if I can.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.