Marantz audio problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a 70's Marantz 2270 stereo receiver. Nice lil amp, but the right channel is a little fuzzy. I've found some info online about possible corrosion of the soft start relay contacts. Unfortuantely, I don't have a service manual for this amp, and I'm not sure where the relay is or what exactly it looks like. Can anyone help?

On a semi-related matter, has anyone tried replicating a Marantz amp, preamp, receiver, or something like that? Obviously you would need new parts to replace the ones that are now obselete, but should you be able to achieve the same success as with genuine Marantz units?

Thanks!

More info available on vintage Marantz audio at www.classic-audio.com

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Shaun,
A warm welcome to the forum.
Your Marantz problem will be quite difficult to solve without a basic knowledge of electronics and their components.
Of course I can only assume that your knowledge is limited from the fact that you don't know what a relay looks like. ;)

On to your problem: try first if you can improve the sound by turning and switching all the buttons an knobs available. Tape/monitor switches often corrode because they are not enough used. Same applies to speaker selector switches. The A/B/Off/Headphone one if the receiver has them.
Volume potmeter can give serious crackles and dropouts. And so on...
Try this first and let us know what you found.
Attached is a picture of different kind of relays.
Do a search on google images and you'll find much more of these (nasty :)) devices

/Hugo

Attachments

• relays.jpg
    relays.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 210
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.