pics of my leach amp - just finished - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2002, 02:28 PM   #1
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default pics of my leach amp - just finished

This is my first amplifier project. It came out good, and sounds quite good. Here are some pictures: tell me what you think

Click the image to open in full size.

I used the 4.5 boards I obtained from prof. leach.

--
Brian Bell
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu
Old 8th February 2002, 02:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very good!!! But tell me which preamp you will use with the Leach amp?
Old 8th February 2002, 02:55 PM   #3

I am currently using a Denon dolby digital processor that I got a few years ago for my denon av amplifier. It just allows 3 sources (2 fiber optic/coaxial) and one external source) and it has a volume control. No gain. It works for now, but I would like to build a pre-amp. I am considering building the Leach pre-amp, if I can find any way to obtain/make circuit boards. I am also looking for other pre-amps to build also.

I have larger versions of the pictures, but I didn't want to slow down the forum too much.

I got the transformer from victoria magnetics:
http://www.victoriamagnetics.com/leach_amp.html

I had John, the guy in charge, make it with an extra shield around it. He also set me up with the case. The case is from Smart Devices. They make this amplifier:

http://www.smartdev.com/2x150vt.html

I had them sell me the case and connectors from their amplifier. They called it the "Leach Amp Chassis Kit" and can put together more if needed. The case is similar to the Hafler case from the late 70s.

Any suggestions for a pre-amp would be appreciated.

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu
Old 8th February 2002, 02:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Happy listening!!
Old 8th February 2002, 04:28 PM   #5
Banned

Wink Very Nice

Great job! the chassis looks like a great one for small Class A amps. Very pictures. Notice the bleeder resistors Grey, and I swear they won't hurt the sound ( except maybe the sound of swearing when someone sticks screwdriver across a charged cap)

H.H.
Old 8th February 2002, 05:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Brian,
Your amp looks outstanding. Great job. I particularly like your case and your construction is tidy. Would you elaborate on how it sounds - have you compared it with any commercial amps?
BAM
PS I would like to get hold of a couple of these cases to build a couple of class A monoblocks. Do you have an email contact at smartdev?
Old 8th February 2002, 07:18 PM   #7

I put 9.2k 2W resistors for the bleeder resistors. They take at least 10 minutes to discharge the 22,000uF caps. I tried it without them also, and I heard no noticable difference.

My favorite part of the case is that I can unscrew the heatsinks from the chassis bottom and fold them flat, which allows for easy working on the boards.

I will eventually post more pictures. I really enjoyed building the amplifier. It took me 3 weeks total, from the first day I went in Leach's office to buy some circuit boards. He is a really nice guy and answered any question that I had along the way. I only had one problem building the amplifier... when I initially made the boards, for the 1/2 W resistors in the output stage R41-R44I accidently used 10k resistors instead of 10 ohm resistors. This still allowed the circuit to work, but I was getting no biasing current. I was really confused and I took it to Prof. Leach, and he spotted the problem in a few minutes.

--
Brian
Old 8th February 2002, 07:20 PM   #8
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

Brain:

Very nice work! This chassis and heat sinks remind me of the old Hafler DH200 amp. Who should I contact at Smart Devices if I wanted to get a chassis and pair of heat sinks myself?

Michael
Old 8th February 2002, 07:42 PM   #9
Banned

Default Leach Amp Chassis Kit

FDieck,

The Leach Amp Chassis Kit is $208.00.

Thank you for your inquiry.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Gwen
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:20 AM
To: gwen@smartdev.com
Subject: "Leach Amp Chassis Kit"

Price for "Leach Amp Chassis Kit" please?
Old 8th February 2002, 09:17 PM   #10

I paid $208 for the chassis, with 2 heatsinks, the bottom, the top, and all of the connectors on the back and the power switch. (connectors being 2 alps audio pots, 3 fuse holders, gold plated input and output jacks, high quality)

I am going to see them next week, and I will see if we can get the price lower by leaving out some connectors. I will keep you posted.

Their info is:

Smart Devices
Gwen Sawyer
General / Sales Manager
gwen@smartdev.com

I like the case a lot, even though it was expensive, it is great quality, and I think it was worth it. I priced out buying a case, heatsinks and connectors, and it came to about $140 for the case that I wanted, and I would still have to drill the heatsinks. This case has all pre-drilled heatsinks, and they have space for 6 to3s per side, which the leach amp uses 4 per side. I think it was worth $208, and I plan on having it for a long time.
If you can find an old hafler case.. it might be as good. I like that this case also had mounting points for the transformer and capacitors. It is made for a transformer similar to the Victoria Magnetics Leach Amp transformer (80V 6A).

The amplifier sounds great, with no noticable distortion. I am taking it into Prof. Leach's audio lab to hook up to the machine that measures amplifier distortion next week, and I will post the results.

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!