BIG transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep you all,
Heavy duty they are, almost 250 gram in weight each, I'll keep them in the spares case, maybe' they will be of use someday. Brand new and got them for free. I see they cost $86,00 a piece. I have seen guy's using IRFP 460 mosfets for amplification which is used for SMPS, I have got a lot of those as well, just thought these big buggers can power something else than switching equipment and computers !
:p
Regards
Jan

Might be useful as power supply rail disconnectors between capacitor and output transistor for a fault detections circuit (DC on speaker) for an amp with conventional output transistors. I have an amp that vaporizes the circuit board trace to the crowbar triac everytime DC gets on the output. I'm replacing the triac crowbar with a power supply disconnector based on a 4 Pole NO 22 amp @600V relay, but transistors ahead of the OT's would be more elegant. No 120 VAC coil on all day. No noisy mains ground to isolate from the analog ground. Fet transistors for 22 amps on 2 channels would be about $100 plus another heat sink, IMHO. And J Curl said FeTS tend to blow up into a short. I wonder why nobody does PS rail disconnection? Might save a lot of hot $4 output transistors after the first one shorts. I'll find out I guess. The relay was free, but all the Power supply **** to drive it and isolate the neutral from speaker minus is a nuisance to wire up.

Last edited:
Any easy circuit to try them ? I have got them, might as well try something constructive, there are times at work when it is quiet, I have got a lot of 75000 uf 40v caps for filtering, coming from old 50V 800A rectifiers that I can use. Got two big 40V 10A transformers to use. Thanks for the info and interest. Would love to try and put it to good use !

Regards
Jan:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.