BIG transistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BIG transistors

Gooday all,
I have got four of these transistors, They were spares from a UPS that became redundant. Could they be used in a amplifier ?GTR Modules :: GTR Modules single :: 1DI480A-055 - QJYelec.com ----Professional solutions for Power Semiconductor

Regards
Jan
Old 5th December 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Most likely NOT.

Theese are heavy duty switching transistors. And optimized for use in such equipment.

But I must admit I would have kept them if I was the one getting them for close to nothing.
Old 5th December 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They're probably slow as mud, but in a SE class-A job who knows? Easy to mount on a heatsink at least.
Old 5th December 2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Banned

100A at 20V when it hits second breakdown according to the SOA graph.
Old 5th December 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yep you all,
Heavy duty they are, almost 250 gram in weight each, I'll keep them in the spares case, maybe' they will be of use someday. Brand new and got them for free. I see they cost $86,00 a piece. I have seen guy's using IRFP 460 mosfets for amplification which is used for SMPS, I have got a lot of those as well, just thought these big buggers can power something else than switching equipment and computers !

Regards
Jan
Old 5th December 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Might be useful as power supply rail disconnectors between capacitor and output transistor for a fault detections circuit (DC on speaker) for an amp with conventional output transistors. I have an amp that vaporizes the circuit board trace to the crowbar triac everytime DC gets on the output. I'm replacing the triac crowbar with a power supply disconnector based on a 4 Pole NO 22 amp @600V relay, but transistors ahead of the OT's would be more elegant. No 120 VAC coil on all day. No noisy mains ground to isolate from the analog ground. Fet transistors for 22 amps on 2 channels would be about $100 plus another heat sink, IMHO. And J Curl said FeTS tend to blow up into a short. I wonder why nobody does PS rail disconnection? Might save a lot of hot $4 output transistors after the first one shorts. I'll find out I guess. The relay was free, but all the Power supply **** to drive it and isolate the neutral from speaker minus is a nuisance to wire up.

Last edited by indianajo; 5th December 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 5th December 2012, 06:37 PM   #7
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Eurostar trains use those. One single one for 200v boost from 72v in, and one with 2 FETs inside as the push-pull output stage to give 1Kw 20kHz square wave. Not sure what they use it for though.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wow, that looks like a real man's transistor.
Old 5th December 2012, 08:56 PM   #9
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

I've used them in large adjustable dc loads. You have to be careful operating them in the linear realm as they really were meant for switching duty. The SOA shrinks real quick if you can't keep them cool.
Old 5th December 2012, 10:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Any easy circuit to try them ? I have got them, might as well try something constructive, there are times at work when it is quiet, I have got a lot of 75000 uf 40v caps for filtering, coming from old 50V 800A rectifiers that I can use. Got two big 40V 10A transformers to use. Thanks for the info and interest. Would love to try and put it to good use !

Regards
Jan

Hide this!Advertise here!