Question reg. Sansui Au-D5 mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up this working Sansui AU-D5 for cheap.

Does anyone know what the mod in the picture is for?
Large resistor between left - and left + and between right - and right + of A channel. Screwed on the back to the outside of the chassis. Both (resistor)clips show the following info:
Bosch 0 227 900 001

Thanx.

Attachments

• mod_au-d5.jpg
    mod_au-d5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 111
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Bosch Ignition Parts for Flat Four VWs
according to this ref. they are Bosch 0.9 ohm ignition coil ballast resistors suiting Porche 924, several Volkswagen models and other German vehicles from ca. 1980.

Why anyone would want to load their amplifier with such a virtual short, is beyond comprehension, if that is in fact how the resistors were configured in use. Perhaps this wasn't the case in actual use. A quick check with a DMM set to resistance would tell you how smart or not this addition was.

Soldering gone wrong...

Ian,

Thanx for the quick reply.

Just removed the bottom case and it looks like a lot of sloppy soldering was done down there. Maybe someone was trying to 'upgrade' the amp :rolleyes:.

I'll remove the additions, clean up the sh#t and see what's left.

Thanx again. Always a joy to visit the fora.

Oops, my fault. I've dismantled the thing (what a mess compared to my TEAC's).
Due to the excessive soldering, wiring and +/- marker indications(!) I mistakenly swapped ground and plus :-0. So the resistors are between the (star) ground and the speaker grounds. This evidently makes more sense than what I mentioned earlier. Would this be some sort of noise dampening?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I don't think it has anything to do with noise. Often, we see people messing with reducing the damping factor of an amplifier by just such an inclusion. You can Google this or read an interesting article on variable damping factor by Rod Elliott on his ESP site. Take a look at fig.1b

I think Rod paints the picture fairly about the merits of reduced damping factor. It's often debated inconclusively but it's another effect to play with. Some love it and others can't see (or hear) the benefit of it. Your choice ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.