basic mic preamp questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2003, 07:58 PM   #1
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
Default basic mic preamp questions

hello everybody
i got a remote mic . the reciever of the mic is generating a hiss sound while connected to the amp so when i'm increasing the volume the hiss sound is too loud , i dont want to open the reciever box ,i want to fix the problem by blocking the hiss freq , but i dont know what the aprox freq of that kind of hiss sound , any ideas ?
another problem , when i increase the amps volume too much the mic is starting to amplify itself and a loud sound is generated (i cant remember how its called the sound is somthing like toooooooooooooooooo ) how to eliminate that ?
Old 7th November 2003, 08:07 PM   #2
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid you won't be able to block out the hiss by using a filter. The hiss is across the entire audio spectrum, and is something you will have to deal with in another way.

First of all, the hiss could be coming from the mic receiver or from the amplifier itself. If it is a lower end wireless, there is a good chance that the hiss is coming from the receiver, and then being amplified by the amp. This is something that plagues cheaper wireless mics.

Second, when you turn the mic up you are getting something called feedback. There are many ways to reduce this. First, use a mic that is very directional in pickup pattern. Second, don't point the maic at the speaker. Last, don't put your hand around the grill of the mic. Putting your hand around the grill turns a directional mic in to an omni-directional mic.

From the sound of it, you need to get a better mic to get rid of many of the problems you are describing. I hope you can return the mic you bought and get a better one. With wireless microphones, you really get what you pay for. When you buy a low cost wireless, you are pretty much throwing your money away. I hope this doesn't discourage you too much. Try and get something from Shure, AKG, or Sennheiser. They cost more, but they are worth every penny.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 7th November 2003, 08:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi sss,

If it's a real hiss, then it's not one frequency, but a whole spectrum. So filtering it out is not a practical option. You could confirm this by getting the signal into a spectrum analyzer, or oscilloscope with FFT function.

Cheers, BC
Old 7th November 2003, 08:27 PM   #4
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
thanx guys
the hiss sound is generated by the reciever , i got no osciloscope so i guess theres nothing to do about it
the mic also got a transmitter that works on bataries and u put it on the belt so i'll try to use a different mic to fix the feedback problem
thanx again

Hide this!Advertise here!