you gotta be kidding !

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Those who can - do, those who can't - complain", great words, not by me, but fit well.

In other words:
It's a free world, anyone of you can try to make a better amplifier and sell it for a lower cost.
Good luck !

In other words:
Take a look left. I'm member of DIYaudio since 2002, and I was able to learn stuff here. You can do too :)

In other words:
If you offer a less-than-great product, you will probably sell one unit and that was it. You will not be able to sell hundreds just by mouth to mouth propaganda.
In order to achieve that, your product has to deliver exceptional performance. Try it, and you will see :)

In other words:
I see a huge amount of slave-mentality here. This forum's name is "DIY-audio" and not "How to display your own inferiority complex and jealousy by flaming other members, just because or their hard earned success". Please act responsibly.

And btw:
The BYOB amplifier is approaching 10 years of unchanged production. That means, it is so good, that even I cannot improve it ;)

And:
You can make better use of your time by creating something valuable, something that will be useful for yourself and others. It's your life and your responsibility.

Thank you and good night,

Charles :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
..... there must be some secret ingredient which improves the sound, so all us cynics are just jealous that he got there first......
That would likely be the critical ingredients supplied by you, the purchaser. i.e. the 12V battery, enormous cables and your willingness to
interpret what you hear as amazing quality sound. :D

Scanning down the unusually brief feedback comments quoted in Altmann's advertisement, you get the idea that these are heavily edited
or fudged quotations. I get the impression that few have had the experience of clean DC supplies with rudimentary designs before, even
some modelled on ''le monstre". Some can indeed sound amazingly good until you tire of the same-same flavour of distortion products.
Then you have another expensive wooden block and box of wires in the back of your cupboard. So, on to the next incredibly simple audio scam.

Let's see a proper independent review before anyone spends a cent on the product, or is the customer list really only a very short one,
as other posts suggest?

Charles, I also learned a lot from this forum - and one thing I learned from some of the smart folk around here was to see through some of the BS that pervades this hobby and industry. Whether it's multi $000's cables or amps on a plank with magic paint, it has no credibility with me whatsoever. I'm sure all these things can be made to offer good performance, but value for money - evidently this is in the eyes of the customer, as it always has been.

I don't know about others, but in terms of jealousy and inferiority complex - I don't see it on this forum any more often than any other walk of life. It certainly wasn't the movitation for this thread but I can imagine that it might make some people better to think so.

By the way, if you are the guy that did the amazing DIY turntable using a motorcycle engine valve - nice job - I was very impressed, even inspired. That's the kind of practical ingenuity that I like.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
yes but not 100X

you might be surpriced
sometimes just the shipping could cost more than its original 'value'

but try take a look at what parts you use to do the DIY we like
sometimes its so bloddy stupid to know it could be cheaper to just go out and buy it instead

whatever
some things are simply priced accordingly to what is expected the possible buyer group is willing to pay
even for the same item some pay less and some pay more
and thats a fact
even here we see it every day

oh sure, some things do, some considerably more, but unless massive amounts of research is done, or considerable man hours to create each one to justify it; they are just as bad. here i'm having trouble seeing much work at all except the obvious time spent selecting the cheapest parts available and in writing (but not editing) the marketing bull

Charles was deep into the point

I do think this happens a lot....not the case of Bigun because i know him a long time...but pointing to one he hurt another.... he got a problem we have in our forum... sometimes i read DIY fourm the same way he readed.

"How to display your own inferiority complex and jealousy by flaming other members, just because or their hard earned success"

I felt that in my skin and i do believe, in this point, he is 100 percent right... a had suffered attack in group by envious and jellows folks...in special when i am earning some success.

About that he is right.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I do think this happens a lot....not the case of Bigun because i know him a long time...but pointing to one he hurt another.... he got a problem we have in our forum... sometimes i read DIY fourm the same way he readed.

"How to display your own inferiority complex and jealousy by flaming other members, just because or their hard earned success"

I felt that in my skin and i do believe, in this point, he is 100 percent right... a had suffered attack in group by envious and jellows folks...in special when i am earning some success.

About that he is right.

regards,

Carlos

no, I dont think its right at all. if he really is making serious money out of these things, sure some might be jealous of that part, but I dont think you will find a single person who is jealous of the way hes going about it, its morally objectionable and every design I have seen has serious flaws framed as features. I feel no guilt for how I have spoken and I feel no jealousy of his way of life or skills.

thats if you believe he is serious in his claims and believes himself, rather than making fun of the very people who buy his products, which I beleive is much more likely

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I don't know
maybe he is actually brave doing what he do
and its not that expencive
but not cheap, so I expect people who buy his stuff can easily afford it too
and they would probably be able to buy way more expencive stuff if they wanted to

but maybe if he had hidden the curcuits inside a neat expencive looking box, noone would have noticed
and his sales numbers might have been x1000
money wise, his way doesn't appear to be the most clever, really

but really, the only people who have a genuine right to complain about his products are not satisfied customers

but this is a DIY forum
and so far I don't see any relevance
unless ofcourse you want to copy it :D

that toy.

1 : The package underneith the TO3 heatsink appears to be a DBS17P.
2 : Single 12V battery rail and 10-20W numbers imply BTL operation.
1+2 => car radio chip ampy from the late 1990s, something Philips or STmicro

Soldering 9 leads of the chip to the bottom of a PCB and the other 8 on top is rather playful, I love to watch Mr Altmann stuff, no matter how much folks are supposed to pay for them.

He is exagerating a lot .... that toy cannot be so good.

Carlos

Himm...so where does the voodoo start and where does it stop? There are people here who can hear the difference between a 75 ohm and 120 ohm gate stopper (apparently the lower value has more punch). There are people here who can tell the difference in brands of reservoir capacitor in a regulated PSU (the expensive ones are better). Given that… maybe a chunk of Spruce is the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.