Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to monty78pig
Post First amp I ever built - An excellent simple class A amp for beginners

Here's a slightly improved variant of the first amplifier I ever built, I was clearing some hard disk space when I found it and thought it would be worth sharing.

It's a very simple amp, with just 3 active devices, but worked very well when I built it at 14. I originally built just one channel using parts that were mostly scavenged from broken amps I'd been given and used it with a big old wharfedale speaker I'd bin raided out of an electricals bin. I used it with my pc and with an old autochanger and two transistor preamp to play 78rpm records.

The design isn't completely original as I'd copied some parts of the topology from a few amplifiers featured on the Elliot Sound Products website but worked out the component values myself. I've changed a few of them and added a zobel network, although it behaved well enough without it at the time. I've also added an ESR to prevent ground loops from becoming an issue.

The design is very simple and I've included a power supply schematic if anyone wants to build a stereo version. The one I built gave about 15 watts or more output power and had a gain of roughly 27dB, and I'd imagine the THD would have been less than 0.1%. The amp is simple enough to build point to point (I built it originally on thick cardboard and mounted it inside an old radiogram), none of the parts are at all difficult to find or big and expensive, its very easy to troubleshoot, no adjustment is required once it is built and you don't have to worry about having an 'on' light (although the LED used for the reference in the constant current source must have a forward voltage of 1.9V to 2.0V)!

It should make a very rewarding amplifier, should anyone new to DIY choose to build it, I have stated all the necessary component ratings on the diagram. For the number of active devices used performance should be excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: png Begginers Amp PS.png (18.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: png Begginers Amp.png (28.9 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by monty78pig; 28th November 2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: errors
Old 26th July 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

LOL - No comments?
Old 26th July 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Still building.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Very nice and simple! I like the overall concept.
Old 27th July 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Only three transistors? Nice.

Could it be improved by the use of a split supply so that the 4700uF on the output can be left out?
Old 27th July 2013, 09:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To answer my own question - I ran the circuit numbers in LTspice and it turns out that there is still a significant DC offset on the output with a split supply.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

R3/R4 can be used to set the output offset of a DC coupled output.

I recommend you keep it as a single polarity, AC coupled output, Single ended, SS amplifier. In this you use R3/R4 to adjust the output DC voltage before C6 to ~ half rail voltage.

This design really needs a speaker delay relay (either solid state or mechanical).
If not used, the charging of the DC blocking capacitor will send a high current through the speaker.
Once this protection is added, I would experiment with adjusting the value of C6 to suit the speaker passband. For bass reproduction maybe 10mF to 15mF, for mid duty maybe 1mF to 2200uF, for treble duty maybe 10uF to 220uF

There is no compensation shown.
Where would be the places it can be added, if it's discovered that some stability compensation is required?
Old 27th July 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, the Vbe of Q1 and the current running through R7 make a small offset. Improvements can be attained by swapping L1 for a 3.3V zener diode and adjusting R9 accordingly. I'm presenting the circuit here as I first built it, though.

I saw the output cap as a bonus at the time, short circuit protection . You can short the output, put whatever you want into the amps input and it'll be just fine .
Old 27th July 2013, 05:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Never needed any compensation although - a cap of about 100pF or so could be placed between the base and collector of Q3 if any problems arose.

I never had much trouble with turn on thump - I think the slow charging of C2 brings the output up slowly without too much audibility.

4700uF is more than enough (I think I may have originally used 2200uF) gives a cuttoff of about 4 Hz into 8 ohms or 8Hz into 4 ohms. This circuit was designed for 6 ohm operation.

Hide this!Advertise here!