Did one sell Krell amp after building LM4702?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
As the app. notes show, there is a lot of difference between an LM4702, which is only the amplifier front end, and a complete amplifier.

What's more, we don't know whether the Krell was an original, a clone, which model and was the comparison fair?
I find it hard to accept that an owner of a genuine Krell would come out in favour of a low cost alternative for any reason. :D
Still, it might be interesting to hear the conditions of this comparison.

it has to be original krell... and the schematic might be quite different in the higherend amps...

ex: nelson pass amps always had super low components in this designs and today its one of the best amp available...

so when the circuit is simple in design and ofcourse sounds good.
so cheaper? i dont think anything would be cheaper .

Why not I bet the 4702 has a lot lower distortion possibly higher power (I don't know) so would be quite easily better. Just because its expensive large and hot it doesn't mean it sounds good. Tbh I can't understand why small low power high distortion class a amps are popular they contradict physics.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tbh I can't understand why small low power high distortion class a amps are popular they contradict physics....
I think we have read often enough here how most interest is focused on amps that give nice, warm, sweet distorted sound.
For a large number of audiophiles, certain such designs offer the most satisfying audio to listen to with headphones,
or at close quarters, with low SPL, as is necessary in most homes. Their quest is to get the high-end version of this sound
for the least cash, which is no easy task but some designs, like JLH's original 10W class A amp, are close enough for many.

This doesn't go the same for high SPL pro. audio or even high level domestic audio so much but this has nothing to do
with notions of what is good or bad sound. It is simply what many audio enthusiasts prefer to listen to at home.

It is always good to give people what they want rather than force-feed them with what is technically truest to the source
or experts assert is best for them. 'Better get used to this principle, it's an old one, like the proverbial leading a horse to water etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.