How well does noise measurement in spice match real world? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2003, 07:27 AM   #1
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Question How well does noise measurement in spice match real world?

Does anyone have made a comparison before?

Sonny
Old 7th November 2003, 07:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Usually, the accuracy of noise simulations in any simulation programme depends strongly on the accuracy of the model parameter sets. For example, I've seen libraries with parameters for hundreds of discrete bipolar transistors where each transistor's base resistance was set to 10 ohm; I wouldn't trust simulation results from such libraries any further than I could throw them. FET model parameter sets often don't include gate series resistance, which can be a major noise source in big, high transconductance JFET's.

Besides, MOSFET and JFET models often give totally wrong results when the FET's are biased in the triode region (low VDS). For physical reasons, the noise coming out of the channel of a FET biased at VDS=0 should be the thermal noise of the channel resistance. With simple FET models, the noise often becomes zero...
Old 7th November 2003, 08:45 AM   #3
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer!

It was what i was looking for.

I was on the move to make some noise tests on mosfets.. So thank you for saving me some time!

Old 10th November 2003, 07:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you intend to use MOSFET's or JFET's as switches, at VDS=0, you can simply do a noise simulation with the switched-on MOSFET's or JFET's replaced with their on resistances.

By the way, all practical resistors generate 1/f noise to some extent when the voltage across them is not zero. This is not modelled in an ideal PSpice resistor. In fact, as far as I remember, I've never seen a resistor model including 1/f noise in any circuit simulator. So it is wise to use metal film resistors for all critical parts of the circuit, as these are known to have little 1/f noise.

(With zero voltage, all resistors generate white thermal noise only.)

Hide this!Advertise here!