How good / bad is this amp made?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using this AudioSource amp for my surround sound for couple years and the "auto on" sensor went bad and I decided to open it up. It's a stereo amp rated at 100W.

Can you tell something about this amp from this picture? Looks to me, it has no soft-start or speaker protection circuit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Since I already replaced it with another amp, I thought about salvaging parts from this for a diy amp. What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well It can't be all that bad sounding If you've been using it for years :).
Isn't the relay box at the end of the input board some kind of protection thump/circuit?
Parts board(s) quality doesn't seem impressive in the photo.
But certainly the pieces are salvageable, ie; Case, transformer, heat sink and connectors seem suitable for reuse.
Often/usually those bits are ..The ..most expensive parts of a DIY amp.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There's no reason (yet) to believe it's any worse than other amps posted here. A schematic would help to make a more informed decision as to what is worth keeping or losing. If some parts aren't the fancy types guys admire, it's no big deal to swap them for whatever types are popular.

OTOH, binning the PCBs and starting another amp from scratch is a major job with no guarantees you will get discernible improvement anyway.

You have a nice enclosure, a reasonable power transformer

heatsink to 50 watts continuous or 100 watts of music... and all connectors needed to assemble a diy audio amplifier.

This can save a lot of money if you have such kind of intention.

Any diy audio amplifier published in this forum will be better than this one..it was made to be cheap, a lot of integrated circuits to reduce cost..small condenser into the supply, 3A diodes...anything special on it...and it looks you have integrated circuits in the output..and these folks are good for 30 watts rms and not much more than that to each channel because of dissipation issues...so...if it is really a chip amplifier (i could not see, picture has not good resolution and focus)... then it is just a pretty toy...not serious if you compare with our average diy amplifiers offered in our forum.

I do think you will have only pleasure doing it....well.... this is what i feel, but this depends on your character, your passion, your skills, your know how, your time to do it, how much money you can spend.... well..depends on a lot of things.

Watching it i feel myself interested in this enclosure, this transformer, this heatsink and i would dismantle and install all connectors back to place..will see if it has some peak meter to be used and will be starting to research what to build.

This looks cheap...looks simple...the performance may be average..we have top performers in this forum....you can have it easy..there's no junk schematics in this forum..at least i could not see junk here.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
This is AMP100 (stereo) by AudioSource. Chip is TDA7293 and spec is 60W @ 8 Ohm, 75W @ 4 Ohm, 160W @ 8 Ohm bridged.

I was about to build a monoblock amp for center channel of my home theater and I decided to look inside of this amp before listing on ebay. Based on the going rate of used ones, I may get better value out of salvaging parts from this amp than selling it and buying new parts for a diy amp.

Here's another look at the module.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

replace the coupling caps in-line with the signal path and call it a day, then once it dies for good strip it for spare parts.

I don't see this amp lasting much longer anyway.

Those large filtering capacitors aren't exactly name-brand if you know what I mean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.