Output subs for 2sa1301 & 2sc3280

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Crispycircuit. Did you locate a schematic with legible voltages? Being printed in red, many scanners seem to miss these, but it might be useful to share the source if you found a way around the problem.

Any Toshiba 2SC3280,81 or 2SA1301,02 manufactured after Toshiba made them obsolete in 2000 will be fakes. The complements were, of course, in different colours. Fairchild officially made some clones after that date but the only reliable source now is On-Semi MJL3281, 1302 and several variants like 4381,0381 MJW, NJW etc. by case type, thermaltrak diodes, Vceo etc. from an authorized agent or direct.

It's probably a good idea to use the spares from other equipment but are you sure the driver transistors are OK? If not, you could just wind up with more dead output transistors and 0 working amps.

No luck finding voltage references in red. I wondered why they didn't show on the schematic. The rest of the schematic is good. I'm able to compare to the good channel. But finding the beginning and the end of the trouble is gonna be difficult for my skills. I did find voltages very high in the driver section but need to find what's causing the higher voltage. I'll replace the drive transistor as you recommend...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Our experience as DIY electronics dabblers can be measured by the size of our Semi graveyard.
When you go back and read the tombstones, you know you learned something important there :D

I was looking at the specs of the amp. and realised that with 57V rails, just how hard that single
pair of transistors can be pushed. You can see that it's not rated for 4R loads and only specified
a little higher at 4R than 8R. I wouldn't use it on 4R speakers except with careful use of the loud
knob, as the transistors would really only be reliable up to a continuous 85W on a typical heatsink.

All the same, they're great transistors and Yamaha built much of their reputation with them.
I imagine the AX500 will sound great too.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
1SS146

It's basically a 200V signal diode but quite a bit slower than IN4148. You could probably even use a 1N4004,5,6,7. As they appear to be in the VAS, better devices would be BAV20 or 21 in the small DO35 glass leaded pack - Not very common parts, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.