Sansui ba-5000 Large Cap Removal Help Needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sansui ba-5000 Large Cap Removal Help Needed

I'm in the process of replacing some of the capacitors on my Sansui BA-5000 amplifier. I have drop-in replacements for the 4 large 22,000 MFD filter caps [C701-C704] but can't figure-out how to remove them from the clamps at their base. The mounting position is such that I can't get a ratchet or wrench on the nut that tightens the clamp around the capacitor. I thought the best way to replace them was to disconnect the wiring from the bus-bars, remove the upper-side-plate that the capacitor base clamps are bolted to (with the old caps in-place), replace the caps, and re-install the plate with the new caps clamped in-place. However, after removing all visible screws into the upper plate (including the one under the output-transformer cover), the upper-side-plate remains secured to the lower-side-plate. Can someone (maybe one of the BA-5000 veterans like EchoWars) tell me what I'm missing?, Is there another way to remove these caps?

Also, is there a recommended replacement for the front-panel power switch (TMS-840)?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 07:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can you not remove the screws holding the clamps themselves to the baseplate? Have you tried using a flexible shaft screwdriver? (though these bolts do tend to freeze up after decades of sitting around).

Better post a pic and leading dimensions of your power switch. Equivalent drop-in parts stock going back near 40 years is very unlikely so you may have to adapt a similar or generic part.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ian,

Thanks for responding. I can't remove all of the screws holding the clamps to the side-plate because some are under the capacitors. The caps are mounted horizontally to side panels of the chassis. My flexible shafts don't fit; not sure if any would. Also, there is about an inch of the clamp bolt that must be cleared by the socket before the nut is reached.

Regarding the power switch : It's probably a custom Sansui part - has a flat shaft that must fit through a vertical slit in the faceplate. Just wondering if one of the Ba-5000 restorers found something that fits.

Also looking for suggestions for best drop-in replacement for front panel volume control pots.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Post up some pics ......!!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!