FCC or other certification...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Suppose you want to sell some speakers on the side to make some money, perhaps some mini-monitor types or a sub or whatever floats your boat, and you'd like to make them active. For economic reasons, building the amplifiers yourself, perhaps from one of the hundreds of kits available, would be preferrable.

Now you have an active electronic device that most likely was never certified by the FCC or whoever else might be required becuase it was originally sold in kit form (or, perhaps you designed and built it from scratch).

Any thoughts on how big that hurdle is, what steps you might take to minimize the pain of going through that process (as in using particular kits or pre-assembled modules that are already certified), or any other bits of wisdom?

RHosch said:
Suppose you want to sell some speakers on the side to make some money, perhaps some mini-monitor types or a sub or whatever floats your boat, and you'd like to make them active. For economic reasons, building the amplifiers yourself, perhaps from one of the hundreds of kits available, would be preferrable.

Now you have an active electronic device that most likely was never certified by the FCC or whoever else might be required becuase it was originally sold in kit form (or, perhaps you designed and built it from scratch).

Any thoughts on how big that hurdle is, what steps you might take to minimize the pain of going through that process (as in using particular kits or pre-assembled modules that are already certified), or any other bits of wisdom?

What sort of amplifier did you have in mind? If it's just a basic linear amplifier, there's no need for FCC certificatoin. I don't even think PWM amplifiers require FCC certification.

se

Something pretty simple, like the ESP Project3A for example, or a Marchand kit, or any of the other hundreds in that vein. Not having to use an "off-the-shelf" amplifier already packaged in a case would give me a lot more flexibility in incorporating the amplifer channels into the cabinets in an appropriate way.

When I said FCC certification, that really was just a poor way of asking about all certifications that might be required (UL as an example) to sell such a product without breaking any laws. I know that such certifications don't protect you from lawsuits when some people go money hunting, but on the other hand I wouldn't want my meager products to get yanked off the market because I didn't go through the proper cert. step

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It all depends. You can get away with a lot if you fly under
the radar. If it's just a passive speaker, I wouldn't even think
about it.

In the US, I'm not aware of much in the way of problems. UL
is occasionally required in some cities, and in rare cases the
local fire marshall will sweep through looking for tags. Of course
in LA they had their own tag, but I don't know if they still promote
that sort of regional silliness. Even so, the worst I've heard of
is having the product pulled off the shelf at that store.

If you want to go offshore, you will encounter a surfeit of
regulations and certifications, some of which are simply designed
as trade barriers. Often an importer can bring stuff in at very
limited quantities, and some just smuggle it in anyway.

In any case, don't let this stuff discourage you - by the time it's
a problem, you should be big enough to deal with it.

Re: Re: FCC or other certification...

Steve Eddy said:

What sort of amplifier did you have in mind? If it's just a basic linear amplifier, there's no need for FCC certificatoin. I don't even think PWM amplifiers require FCC certification.

se

Hi

Everything that potentially radiates RF emission shall comply FCC emission limits. Same holds for CE mark in Europe.

Other issue is RF imunity. CE is very clear about that, I am not so familiar with FCC rules on that aspect.

Passive stuff passes easilly, analog and linear: N o problems on the RF emission part, but someimes difficult to pass on imunity.....

regards

Too, if you're going to be recycling someone else's kit or IP into a commercial product, do make sure you get permission from them to do so. I doubt the FCC would notice you, but you might find yourself in some copyright-related troubles if you start selling amps based on "free for DIY use only" circuits.

Besides fullfilling the requirements for radiation, imunity and safety you can check if you have to prove this too. If you need to prove it as well you have to contact an agency who can do this approval for you. You have to be prepared if you enter that circus:bigeyes:

If approvals are needed and you have them, you have to show it in something of a user manual/on the product (showing who is end-responsible).

Yes, there can be a big hurdle. But if you are prepared well you should be able to pass it in one step. Basicly if you are able to control your products and processes it should be easy.

If your activities only help to "float the boat" instead of being a company fullfill the safety regulations and fly under the radar.

Success!

Ward

Thanks for the info and advice guys. Though I will certainly start out small, selling to just a local market, I would be utterly thrilled to move my career in that direction. Thus, I am a bit concerned about "flying under the radar" knowing that I don't always want to do so, and don't want there to be "legacy problems" when (if) I finally do pop up on the radar screen. ;)

I'll check out those links... I was prepared to do pretty extensive FCC and UL research at some point in the near future anyway, but I've found it always helps to ask questions like this on forums full of knowledgeable people first; you guys can often save valuable time by providing tips on where to look and where not to waste time looking.

r0cket: yes, I will of course make sure that for any kits I may use I have permission to package them in a retail product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.