Lead size of TO-3 package and where to get insulated jumper wires? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lead size of TO-3 package and where to get insulated jumper wires?

Where do you get these insulated leads that attach to TO-3 pins? And what exactly is the TO-3 lead size? Picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (198.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 14th November 2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Is it not just ordinary insulated wire with sleeving slipped over one end (I use silicone sleeving for that kind of thing).

A data sheet for the MJ21194 and BUZ900 FET says 1mm lead diameter so it could well be standard at that.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Is it not just ordinary insulated wire with sleeving slipped over one end (I use silicone sleeving for that kind of thing).

A data sheet for the MJ21194 and BUZ900 FET says 1mm lead diameter so it could well be standard at that.
Yes it's insulated wire, but (I think) it has a jump hole so you plug the wire directly into the pin. I have found similar type of connectors such as this:

Click the image to open in full size.

But I was looking for thicker wires and one with a larger diameter hole (this one doesnt fit TO-3 pins.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You can crimp female Molex pins or other brand equivalents onto the end of your wires, and then push them onto the male pins. Sleeve them with heat shrink or other tubing if you wish. There are single pin plastic Molex housings, which you could also use, though to me, that seems more than is needed.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:25 AM   #5
RJM1 is online now RJM1  United States
diyAudio Member

TO-3 Lead size is 0.036” to 0.043” (0.97 to 1.09mm)
Transistor Case Packages, TO-3 Style Flange Mount Case
Old 15th November 2012, 06:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you can concede to wrap wires around the TO-3 pins, solder, and sleeve, well, that's a better connection than any set of contacts, and not that difficult to change if you blow a device (shouldn't happen all that often, after all).

I just recently finished a project where I socketed TO-3 devices for rectifier and capacitance multiplier duty. I used good quality sockets, but the base and emitter lugs were pretty fragile (yes, I busted one - what a pain). One of the plastic TO-3 positioner frames and wrapped connections like the ones I just described probably would have been more rugged/suitable.
Old 15th November 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So fancy, I just use ordinary wire + soldering iron + some heatshrink...
Old 15th November 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My solution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1249.JPG (152.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 15th November 2012, 06:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Note that there are some "TO-3" packages that have oversized leads. This will be noted on the device data sheet. Ususally these are high current devices like bipolars rated above 30 Amps and low Rds-on MOSFETs.
Old 15th November 2012, 07:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

As a struck of luck, there is never any problem that theese leads are to carry as much as 30Amps continuisly. If one use a lead similar to 1,5mm², one would never have any problem with either influence of the resistance in the lead or experiencing the lead to burn off due to over-current drawn through it.

Hide this!Advertise here!