Input capacitor 2.2uf Polystyrene or Mundorf Silver/oil? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 07:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Input capacitor 2.2uf Polystyrene or Mundorf Silver/oil?

which input capacitor is best for SS? I have personally used Polystyrene and found ultra high resolution in the sound but since I never listened to Mundorf silver oil caps thought if anybody might have compared these two caps would help me in saving 200 dollars... can anybody tell me how does it compare? can polystyrene beat Mundorf silver oil?

technically speaking polystyrene should be better than any polypropelene but how is the sound compared when compared to Mundorf is a big question...
Old 13th November 2012, 08:25 AM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Unfortunately you are in (almost) completely subjective territory here, and in reality the only person who is going to be able to decide is yourself.

The reason I said almost is because when you start getting very large capacitors (that the board was probably not designed to cope with) there is a real possibility that there could be unintended negative effects (which may be quite quantifiable).

In the end your ears and brain will tell you whether or not you have wasted your money, and for each individual this could be different.

If you have any doubts (or could spend the money more wisely on something else) I'd not fork out the cash.

Tony.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Only get caps from reputable manufacturers with proper science and research behind their products, like Panasonic or Rubycon, etc. Mass produced and cheap, and working as they should.
I would expect that Mundorf or other small "audiophile" companies don't not fall into this category. They simply can't afford to compete with the expertise (and R&D) of proper capacitor manufacturers.

Last edited by Coconuts 500; 13th November 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You really think Mundorf has their own capacitor assembly line? Ever heard the term contract manufacturing?
Old 13th November 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts 500 View Post
Only get caps from reputable manufacturers with proper science and research behind their products, like Panasonic or Rubycon, etc. Mass produced and cheap, and working as they should.
I would expect that Mundorf or other small "audiophile" companies don't not fall into this category. They simply can't afford to compete with the expertise (and R&D) of proper capacitor manufacturers.
To be fair, Mundorf's parent company is one of the largest capacitor manufacterers in the world.

I would pick the Mundorf Silver/Oil because I have heard them (using them in my tube amp) and they sound very good to me. They are also quite small in size, for their voltage rating.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
With the cost of these capacitors though, it'll be better just to use an amp design that doesn't require input coupling capacitors.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

give a big electrolytic capacitor a chance

220µF/25V at 10K inputresistor.
Old 13th November 2012, 10:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do not go too crazy about it and save some money! I would not use Polystyrene caps in the inputs. I always use Sonicap and they are very good. I use Mundorf audio grade caps for my power supply only!
Old 13th November 2012, 11:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I doubt anybody could hear a difference between polystyrene and polypropylene caps of the same value in a blind test. The losses and distortions are so low as to be almost unmeasurable. Even with a ppm resolution bridge and various other tests I wouldn't be able to tell the two apart with any certainty. The differences between two manufacturers of the same type would almost certainly be larger than the differences between the dielectrics in general. I'd be more interested in microphonics, if they're an issue at all, and capacitance to nearby grounds and circuitry due to size differences.
Old 13th November 2012, 11:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

My question is what preamp before this amp ? Why do you think you need this cap ? Cap where used in the signal path of tubes because power supplies where expensive and thus used only one ht supply and blocked dc between stages . Point being is you may not need them at all saving 100s of dollars . No cap sounds like no cap at all. Please explain why you want in input cap .

Hide this!Advertise here!