FETZILLA - The Builders Place - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 10:32 PM   #41
GregH2 is offline GregH2  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
Greg,Just do what you think is best.What do you mean with a long time?
Meanman,

By long time, I mean perhaps 15 minutes, but this is in no way damaging to the speaker. It just means the amp takes some time to reach optimal operating conditions. Actually the extra H2 distortion created by having some DC offset probably will sound nice!

I have no personal need for a 150-200W Fetzilla and I now prefer to make designs which use cheap and readily available parts (no lateral fets, depletion mode mosfets or JFETs). If you want a 150W fetzilla I am happy to advise you along the way and help you with all the details, but this time I will not be building the amp myself.

Let me know if you would like to proceed and I will post a schematic to try.

In the meantime, the 72W quasi amp I am designing should sound pretty good and provide reasonable power. Should be done in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Greg.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:49 PM   #42
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH2 View Post

In the meantime, the 72W .......

Greg.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:14 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Wow, "Quasi" really seems to be a buzz word on these forums. The interest and number of personal messages this has generated is quite amazing. I hope the amp lives up to expectations.

I think the reason chip amps sound as good as they do is the quasi output. Couple that output to a simple single ended input stage and vas and you should have a good sound IMO. Anyway, this is getting off the feztilla topic so I will shut up now.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:57 AM   #44
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

A quasi output stage mandates different loop gain for each half cycle. This promotes H2 and H4 output. THD overall is not as good as a complementary design, but many say that quasi amps sound better. This is a close paradigm that higher THD increase sound quality, but really is highly controversal.

Go for it, Greg!

Hugh
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:01 AM   #45
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the reason chip amps sound as good as they do is the quasi output. Couple that output to a simple single ended input stage and vas and you should have a good sound IMO.
I think the opposite. The reason chip amps sound as mediocre as they do is the quasi output...

I don't think that a quasi amp can be "the best". We have LM overture series, we have Naim clones, etc. but I think "we" rely more on your capability than the dreadful quasi topology (yes, we have a LOT more NPN than PNP).

But please keep the original "spirit" of Lineup's circuit: current feedback. Visually I want to see no higher than 2k2 of feedback resistance, and I prefer the feedback applied to emitter/source.

BTW, since the beginning around almost 2 years ago, Hugh always wrote LINEOUT. Something I am missing?
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:10 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hugh: If you are chasing asymmetry in the output stage, does this mean that you would prefer a quasi output without the baxandall diode?

Jay: I think the thing that lets down the sound of the chip amps is the very complex circuit before the output, not the quasi itself. Be rest assured, my quasi amp will stick to the fetzilla topology with its single ended input and vas and current feedback.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:40 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Meanman,

By long time, I mean perhaps 15 minutes, but this is in no way damaging to the speaker. It just means the amp takes some time to reach optimal operating conditions. Actually the extra H2 distortion created by having some DC offset probably will sound nice!

I have no personal need for a 150-200W Fetzilla and I now prefer to make designs which use cheap and readily available parts (no lateral fets, depletion mode mosfets or JFETs). If you want a 150W fetzilla I am happy to advise you along the way and help you with all the details, but this time I will not be building the amp myself.

Let me know if you would like to proceed and I will post a schematic to try.

In the meantime, the 72W quasi amp I am designing should sound pretty good and provide reasonable power. Should be done in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Greg.
Greg,
I want to give it a try.As I said earlier it may be a real bass amp going to 200Hz top but if you can design a high power FetZilla be my quest.The FetZilla produces such a bass it's amazing strong ,tight and rocksteady fast that I want.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:17 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
Greg,
I want to give it a try.As I said earlier it may be a real bass amp going to 200Hz top but if you can design a high power FetZilla be my quest.The FetZilla produces such a bass it's amazing strong ,tight and rocksteady fast that I want.
Ok, give me a few days and I'll cobble together a possible circuit for you to try.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:48 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Any update here?
Old 5th December 2012, 12:29 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Sorry, been very busy with work and getting home late.

It's taking shape, haven't had a chance to simulate it or finalise the design yet. Will probably be something like this. Should get it finished on the weekend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (237.0 KB, 322 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!