New Lineup IDEA - Power Follower/Output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

MJE15034/35 look a lot like MJE15030/31 except for having a much higher voltage rating. Gain is fairly flat and consistent over normal driver-stage current requirements. GBW curves for the 34/35 look a little scary for low currents, but the same curves for 30/31 do not go below 100mA, so may look similar.

The lower-voltage MJE15030/31 is ubiquitous and has proven itself to be a favoured choice in many high-end designs. Bryston has used them since they became available. The 30/31 are seen in amps up to +/-75V rails, even though their rating is only 150V. If you are doing a class-G amp or something with +/-100V rails, the 34/35 should give similar performance.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Still playing around

Ditched the CCSs to try bootstrapped resistive loading and it isn't too shabby. It definately isn't as touchy with getting offset in check. I think I'd like to play with the BIGBT some more, maybe just go stupid and try the BJTs in a CFP driven by a smaller MOSFET. Simmed distortion doesnt change much until just shy of clipping, about 3V off the rails.

Attachments

• Lineup_PowerFollower_BIGBT_bootstrap.jpg
    Lineup_PowerFollower_BIGBT_bootstrap.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 672
Hi Guys

Jkuetemann, see my earlier posts regarding non-CS versions of this buffer:

114 - Rs for CSs

116 - schemo showing Rs for CSs and class-A bias servo

136 - paragraph-5, discusses offset advantges of Rs

186 - performance of bootstrapped-R version with triple-EF, doubled outputs, local filters, plus layout and schemo - THD <0.002% measured across the band (limit of Radford test system)

All my circuits have proper input and output referencing, as detailed earlier.

In the past I tended to add CSs and current mirrors to assure performance and to eliminate critical R values in certain circuits. After building a lot of different things and many of each, I'm finding certain simplifications to be worth the added effort of matching devices. The overall distortion profile becomes balanced, benign and low-order.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

I think I'd like to play with the BIGBT some more, ...

Way to go :up:

I can not tell you how pleased I'm with them and how good these are in real world practice. Only that I prefer to use verticals (IRF610/9610) for drivers as they're faster and likes to drive more current. VAS stage, no matter which topology, driving BIGBTs breathes with full lungs at all times. :yes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Guys

The Philips data books provide Ft info for the BDs where Motorola's does not.

You are free to use my share of BDs in all your amps for "superior" performance. I've never had to bias the 2SA/2SCs any hotter than any other device to have amazing performance, but maybe things work differently in this time zone?

Frankly, I think my hearing must be going because I can't hear anything over 1MHz.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

No thanks, I dont want what will probably be fakes or junk second source. The bds have long been discontinued and only the fairchild second source seems to be capable of similar performance. Clearly you dont understand the distortion mechanisms with push pull emitter followers so I wont waste further time with you on the subject in this time zone.

Hi Guys

Clearly I do not understand things the same way as you, homemodder. Rather, what I understand is that there is more to BJT performance than mere Ft. Gain flatness over the current range actually used is more important and does not require that this be coincident with the maximum Ft point of the device. In this view, I am joined by name designers whom I respect.

Lazycat, I finally took a closer look at your discrete IGBT circuit and understand why you like it. If you took out the diode between the BJT collectors, you have a formof Bryston Quad-complimentary output stage in effect, with a mosfet driver instead of BJTs, and without voltage gain. The combination of an emitter and a collector working the load for each signal half has a profound effect on the distortion spectrum, generally making it more balanced and benign.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Guys

Clearly I do not understand things the same way as you, homemodder. Rather, what I understand is that there is more to BJT performance than mere Ft. Gain flatness over the current range actually used is more important and does not require that this be coincident with the maximum Ft point of the device. In this view, I am joined by name designers whom I respect.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Not more important but as important as is the cob and the early voltage of the device / Low saturation voltage comes to mind in second plane. Gain flatness with maximum Ft is not required but if you want high performance both can be achieved at the same time with clever device selection. Try upping the bias on the driver on any class AB amp and youll hear the difference, especially with the dismall onsemi devices. These should are really only be used with triple EF stages and very high power amps were other devices are unfortuneatly not suitable or exist.

The original Bds have a gain which is just as flat as any toshiba or MJL, as a bonus you get higher beta which is advantageous and you get much improved Ft which is also advantageous. Thirdly the cob is also lower meaning lower high frequency distortion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The BDs from fairchild are not far off the originals or mje243 and mje253.
Higher voltage youd have to use toshibas, parralel them if you have to, even then much better than the onsemi devices. Another current ex sanyo and now onsemi is 2sa1507 and complement which is comparable to the best toshiba pair 2sa1930 and compliment.

Hi Guys

Saturation voltage is important in a switching circuit when you want low losses, but seems irrelevant in an audio amp. I don't run my amps to clipping, nor do I need to extract that last 100mV of swing from the supply rails.

Jkuetemann, the mosfets in your sim are now obsolete according to Toshiba. However, the K1058-J162 may still be current. They are all close enough to each other in performance to be swappable for the circuit. It is disconcerting to see these obsoletions occur, especially when you have these parts in your inventory; should you use them? keep some as spares?

Fortunately with the plastic packages, the mosfet and BJT pinouts are compatible. So, if you lay out a board for the LU buffer, you can use either technology. Just make a provision for the extra drive or predrive stages, and for gate zeners and balancing caps. Then, if the original mosfets die and cannot be replaced, BJTs can be subbed, or vice versa.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Thanks. I will add inductance instead.
That will keep the distortion low within the circuit,
and at the same time protect against capacitive looads.

What I have found is that the addition of the inductor makes certain ringing into a capacitive load. Can you hear that? I dunno... Thinking out loud now, I wonder if anyone has done actual distortion measurements with the ringing?

_-_-bear

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No they dont outperform the BDs, please show proof, I will then show proof otherwise. The bd137-140 series has less than half the Cob of parts like the toshibas. They also are much faster, 150Mhz compared to 100 that toshibas can manage. The important factor is that the toshibas need to be biased at 100ma and higher to be able to even reach 100Mhz wheres the BDs do this at 30ma. Where does one usually bias drivers for class AB at, 100ma and up, I dont think so. Further the BDs display hfe near twice as high as any toshiba.

They are only inferior when it comes to VA and SOA, use two in paralell and till their rated Vceo they easily outperform any toshiba or any other make of driver.

I think ST might still be doing these, but not sure of the spec.

They were nice GP devices in their day, but a bit let down by the low Vceo rating.

No they dont outperform the BDs, please show proof, I will then show proof otherwise. The bd137-140 series has less than half the Cob of parts like the toshibas. They also are much faster, 150Mhz compared to 100 that toshibas can manage. The important factor is that the toshibas need to be biased at 100ma and higher to be able to even reach 100Mhz wheres the BDs do this at 30ma. Where does one usually bias drivers for class AB at, 100ma and up, I dont think so. Further the BDs display hfe near twice as high as any toshiba.

They are only inferior when it comes to VA and SOA, use two in paralell and till their rated Vceo they easily outperform any toshiba or any other make of driver.

I have Philips handbook fro 1974 and it states fT for BD 135/137/139 is 250 MHz anf fT for BD136/138/140 is 75 MHz nothing about Cob.
dado

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The original philips datasheets state ft of 160Mhz for pnp and 190 for npn but please note that these were taken at vce of 5 volt where nowadays its mostly taken at 10v which makes things look a little better but I believe the ft of the npn part could well reach 250 Mhz at vce of 10v. Thats how good these parts are, a real pity about the max Vce but you could push a paralelled pair to +- 50 volts if you re adventurous. Max Vce is stated open base.

The rest of the info can be had looking at datasheets for bc638/9 ect. The bds are simply these in to126 package, this is what the philips parts are and why the spice parameters are identical for the parts. The onsemi ones however are nowhere close to the originals so I dont even consider them as being bd components.

I agree better vas transistors are available but at least they are much better than mje340/350 which are commonly still found even on commercial products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.