Preamp for the Leach amp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howzabout the Leach Preamp?:D The JFET input version, PDF available on his website. I'd update the JFETs to a 2SK389 or a pair of matched 2SK170.

I built both line stage and RIAA stage years ago with the 2N5457 JFETs. The combo sounded very nice and the flat amp measured well as I recall.

mlloyd1

I was about to start a new thread on the same subject but a search came up with this one. I have been running two channels of a quad mono Leach 4.5 amp for about a year and a half. Prior to that I had run a stereo Leach Low Tim II since the late 70's. I have also recently resurrected my vinyl collection (after about 15 years of storage) with a Kenwood KD-500, Grace 707, and Shure V15-IV. For a preamp I use the original Leach bipolar wideband preamp published in Audio but with a custom regulated power supply. I may as well come totally clean and admit that I am listening through original Advents with crossovers modified with hand wound air core inductors and polypropelene caps. Yeah, I am an old fart. Some day I may bi-amp these, which is why I built the quad Leach

Well, I am looking to upgrade the preamp, both phono and line stages. Being a Leach kind of guy, my first thought was to build the Leach FET phono and line stages. Any feedback on these from anyone who has built them would be appreciated. Were there ever PC boards available for these? Actually, if I built them I would likely individually regulate each channel and stage, unlike Leach.

I have also considered the Pearl for the phono, but the V15-IV is to high output for low distortion operation of this. I suppose it's time to upgrade the cartridge as well. I have never experienced moving coil. It may be about time. What would be a good line stage to go with the Pearl?

What other preamps would be a good match for the Leach 4.5? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.