why do old amps sound is liked by many serious audiophiles even though... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Not all old amplifiers sounded good or were build well!!!. Before I went into DIY amps I had a Marantz 2238B receiver, I checked inside and it was very well build. But today, thanks to the help of many very smart members here that helps us to build some amps that will put on shame of most of those good old amplifiers and new good commercial ones too. What I like really like about some old gears is the look of some amplifiers and receivers, especially the brushed aluminum faces, aluminum knobs, blue lights and meters. I know it is just cosmetic, but I like it. Nothing wrong with that
Old 31st October 2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmsandy View Post
i have seen many talk about the vintage Marantz 170DC or Pioneer 1980 etc

what is so unique of those amps that someone cant build such stuff these days?

I have even seen ceramic and mylar caps in those which are generally not encouraged in audio ckt.

but why does they sound that great that one eventually calling me many times that do you have any old amp like them....

we can get better toroidal these days better caps but whats wrong...

i sometime see the polystyrene capacitors in the old amps is that one of the strong reasons why they sound good?
ofcourse design is one aspect but example...

people say Rotel was good few decades ago but now its not as good as old...

i understand the cost and features competetions but is there anything apart from that what makes them so unique...
The isn't anything better about them, they are worse. People are weird in HiFi it's the reason we still have valve amps. Some people just can't move on...
Old 31st October 2012, 10:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Not all old amplifiers sounded good or were build well!!!. Before I went into DIY amps I had a Marantz 2238B receiver, I checked inside and it was very well build. But today, thanks to the help of many very smart members here that helps us to build some amps that will put on shame of most of those good old amplifiers and new good commercial ones too. What I like really like about some old gears is the look of some amplifiers and receivers, especially the brushed aluminum faces, aluminum knobs, blue lights and meters. I know it is just cosmetic, but I like it. Nothing wrong with that
I can fix just about anything on just about any 70s Japanese amp or receiver and restore it to like new, but I'm a long way from being smart enough to design and build the circuitry for an all new amp. Of course, aside from McIntosh, just about the only vintage amps/receiver I care for are Japanese.

Last edited by AudioPackrat; 31st October 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I know one reason beside nostalgia. Power Supplies. The old amps had 'em, the new ones only kinda wish they did. Heavy, brother, heavy.

The big, silver knobs is another reason to like the old stuff. And cool VU meters.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default They are good in many ways

This is the reason why..they are good..very good.

regards,

Carlos
Old 31st October 2012, 10:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

kids can't handle smd, to tiny for their still learing hands.

Last edited by chriscam; 31st October 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:35 PM   #17
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
As an oversimplified example, ...Open up a vintage Marantz 2275 receiver........then open up a current 5, seven channel Name brand receiver.
Hmm, you know what would LOOK good inside a 2275? A TDA1541A PCB board...

Just throwing that out there for some people to ponder.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have a hard time finding the words to express how much I despise SMDs.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:14 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down SMDs

I soon as I see SMDs...I just shake my head! I guess these days We see them more and more.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:25 AM   #20
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think its all about nostalgia.

And SMDs - I don't have an issue, I've used them for DIY. I use the largish ones. It's very much easier for me. The pcb has no holes to drill when I make it. No leads to bend and fiddle with, just drop the part on and solder it. Not much solder, less fumes. Fast to build. What's not to like.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!