why do old amps sound is liked by many serious audiophiles even though... - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 01:02 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerit View Post
Those old amps are way better than today's rubbish, it's just that people of today think or are brainwashed into believing 5 in 1 is hi fi ,lol.
People believe what they're told in the marketing hype. My neighbor thinks that his Bose surround system (the one with the tiny speakers) is state of the art. He cranks the music up on it (it will play pretty loud) and it sounds terrible. It is missing a whole octave of mid bass and it is so obvious to my old, half deaf ears. The bass is muddy. The dynamics are absolutely dead. It sounds like a loud echo from a couple of rooms away; no coherence to the music at all. But he thinks you can't improve on it.
Old 4th November 2012, 01:13 PM   #92
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Ha ha ha, that about sums it up perfectly. We're living in a throwaway age where quantity rules not quality.
Old 4th November 2012, 01:36 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ha ha ha, that about sums it up perfectly. We're living in a throwaway age where quantity rules not quality.
Indeed. I have *never* heard one of those "acoustimass" systems that sounded even close to acceptable. That system does not even reproduce simple spoken words clearly!

"Balancing" the sound will provide a more pleasing "psychoacoustic" listening experience. My buddy has an old Sony "all in one" "component" system, with a reciever sans power amp, and a modest seperate power amp. The system came with large 12" 3 way floor standing speakers. It is nothing special, but it does reproduce a full range of music and it does play very loud without falling apart. Of course an audiophile would turn their nose up at it, but at least Sony did a good job of matching the components and at least the system doesn't compress the dynamic range or turn the program material into incoherent mud. It sounds a lot better than some "hi fi" systems I have heard that consisted of poorly matched components and/or poorly placed speakers. But just try to tell people that simply moving their speakers will greatly improve their system. They will typically point to the manufacturer's "specs" and completely ignore imaging, room response, etc; and delude themselves into believing that their equipment is performing to spec in spite of placing the speakers right up against the sofa, or placing small speakers on the floor, or whatever. If people would get their noses out of the manufacturer's hyped up literature and actually open their ears they might get their money's worth out of their equipment.
Old 4th November 2012, 03:01 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those old amps are way better than today's rubbish, it's just that people of today think or are brainwashed into believing 5 in 1 is hi fi ,lol.
And there are plenty out there who believe two inch "loudspeakers" coupled with a farting six inch "subwoofer" is hifi as well.

se
Old 4th November 2012, 09:31 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

pmpo = product manager power output
Old 4th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #96
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
Simply blows away the chip based junk of today
In what ways? Can you explain further?
Old 4th November 2012, 10:38 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I would suggest there is quite a bit of nostalgia associated with older amplifiers.
I have a couple of 1980 Maplin 50 watt amplifier modules. This was my first amplifier project in 1980 and so holds a lot of good memories for me. What was incredible for me was it worked first time ! I also built a Maplin 225WRMS amplifier for a mobile disco and that worked well for many years despite on road use.
Despite the 50 watt amp being old I do like the sound of it. I cant tell the difference between it and a modern class d amplifier.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:36 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Maplin modules were pretty good designs. These days too much of the product budget goes into 1cm thick front panels and other cosmetic frills.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:24 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Maplin modules were pretty good designs. These days too much of the product budget goes into 1cm thick front panels and other cosmetic frills.
if this was facebook i would have hit the like button

it's a bit like polictics, one gets increasingly judged over looks rather then what one's saying.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

It is all about business. The components produced today may not always be optimum for use in audio amplifiers. Finding good engineers is difficult.

Hide this!Advertise here!