why do old amps sound is liked by many serious audiophiles even though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Curious.. I too have 70's stuff stored, mostly.
Was is it better than (decent :) current examples? Not so sure.
Example: Fender guitar amps are Highly Prized.
For their look/status but overwhelmingly for their sound: fuzzy and distorted on a player's demand.
Recently rebuilt My Fender Bassman. Discovered that many if not all the old Carbon Composite resistors had drifted in value. Some to more than double ! their values, a few drifted less But all were wayyy off spec..
Result of my reintroducing the oem part values changed the sound... Dramatically. Tight, clean sounds now dominate, the warm fuzzy brownouts are largely Gone.
Presumably rendering My fender resale as worthless :)
Initially /briefly I gave thought to reinserting the old parts.
No I didn't, electing to go with the Factory new sound.. which once acclimatized to, I prefer.
Clearly over time the produced sounds had drifted far from what the things produced when they left Leo Fender's factory. Quite a difference actually.
BUT it's that distorted aged/sound that most identify with the brand genre.
So are these old Audio components doing similar? Likely so.

Ps: I don't admire Adcoms, they were designed and built as cheap gizmos, often sans such effete niceties as power regulation :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why?

Maybe that is the answer - simple artwork amps

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 177
  • S2.JPG
    S2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 158
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 158
  • S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 163
Party pooper ....... :p

Sorry. :)

They were winding transformers for other companies, then decided to build and sell own amps, to sell more transformers. In pretty looking packages. :D
It is obvious: transformers packed in cardboard boxes cost much less than packed in metal boxes stuffed with other cheap stuff, like turkey. :)

Last edited:
Seriously? :rolleyes:

Absolutely. For designer of electronics equipment power and output transformer close to each other oriented such a way their magnetic fields are maximally coupled do not look good. Hot tubes between transformers with no convection path also do not look good. Unreliable switches don't look good. Electrolytic coupling caps don't look good. However, for the person with no experience in design it may indeed look nice. Rhythmic rows and symmetry, 2 major factors of good looking.

Last edited:
Absolutely. For designer of electronics equipment power and output transformer close to each other oriented such a way their magnetic fields are maximally coupled do not look good. Hot tubes between transformers with no convection path also do not look good. Unreliable switches don't look good. Electrolytic coupling caps don't look good. However, for the person with no experience in design it may indeed look nice. Rhythmic rows and symmetry, 2 major factors of good looking.

The solid state amps in those pictures have neither output coupling caps nor output transformers.

The solid state amps in those pictures have neither output coupling caps nor output transformers.

I meant only that tube amp, of course. Quality of the main function is compromised for better look. It is the main difference between consumer and military designs.

When people prefer some amps (old, new, does not matter) their look matters sometimes more than sound. What matters else, reputation.

amp
de gustibus non est disputandum.....

For me, old Sansui sounds definitely better than modern construction.

user_offline.gif
radiosmuck, sorry, but I think you never hear working Sansui.
What noise, what, charms.....

My replcement amp is on the left and my old amp is on the right.
The amp on the right cost $699 in 1978, that is $2,277 in today's money.
The amp on the left cost under $25 incl. shipping.
The little TA2020 chip amp easily drives all the speakers I possess, from huge vintage 15 Ohm jobs to 4 -8 Ohm sealed bookshelf speakers.
I'm starting to think we have all been sucked into the power game?

Attachments

• amps.jpg
    amps.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.