High Brightness LED Zener Like Curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only advantage I can think of in using this zener, instead of a real one, is that you need a 7 V zener, and you don't want to pay $6 freight to get one. I've been known to stack salvage 1n4148's on top of the 4 values of zeners I keep to make some other voltage.

Can you test to see if the avalanche knee voltage is more current dependent than a regular zener?

Is this what you meant? The knee of the led in zener mode is not sharp, the true zener is very sharp. The graph below has been manipulated to match the terminal Zener voltage on the top right side of the curves, LED aprox 7.3 volts and Zener 6.2 volts. Current (Y) is at 100mv/ma

Attachments

• LEDZENER vs ZENER.jpg
    LEDZENER vs ZENER.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 105
Is this what you meant? The knee of the led in zener mode is not sharp, the true zener is very sharp. The graph below has been manipulated to match the terminal Zener voltage on the top right side of the curves, LED aprox 7.3 volts and Zener 6.2 volts. Current (Y) is at 100mv/ma

Yes, excellent work there. But, that led probably shouldn't be run long term in reverse. There's no zener in there.

Other use:
The top of one of those leds can be sanded/filed flat, clear glued to a CDS and that thing painted black, and presto! handmade optocoupler. :D That can be used for my clipnipper or a really similar project from Rod Elliot. The settings can be different depending on which CDS is selected, but it is easily doable with parts from Radio Shack. :)

And, as a detector, the LED does not suddenly switch on and therefore I like the LED better for transparent compressors. Suddenly switch on with zener isn't transparent. But, after enough led's have been strung together for "gentle cushion" (approximately 3 for clipnipper), a zener can be added to the chain as needed to re-scale for more powerful amplifiers.

Yes, excellent work there. But, that led probably shouldn't be run long term in reverse. There's no zener in there

Thanks.

This is where I am confused, isnt the built in ESD diode a zener?

I don't quite grasp how the non sharp knee is useful. Do you say running the device within the knee currents? On a regular scale the device looks like a regular zener like in my first post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.