Class i

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Main benefit ???

Main benefit is a 'purely resistive' output impedance.

Hi Andrew,

It's not as 'purely resistive' as you might think, rather it is Zo + Re, where Zo is about the output impedance of any other (regular) EC OPS. Moreover, we have two Re's, the top and the bottom one. If they aren't exactly equal they create another source of distortion (except in case of class-A operation, of course). I wouldn't see this as 'beneficial' feature of class-I.

See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/202684-class-i-siblings.html#post2826537
and also: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/202684-class-i-siblings-14.html#post2852220

Cheers,
E.

Although one benefit is a resistive output impedance, I believe the "main" benefit is elimination of crossover distortion and related low-level nonlinearities.

We've seen very low distortion available from ClassAB for a long time now - why would Class i be of any interest other than intellectual ?

Hi Guys

Anything that reduces let alone eliminates crossover distortion is worth investigation.

However, a traditional output stage with a simple bias regulator that monitors output current is a simpler solution, requiring just a two-BJT regulator. Idle current is rock solid and fairly easy to set by selecting Re for the outputs. The downside with this simple approach is that Vq must be one Vbe drop - or two - where class-i and Doug Self's class-A bias servo (three BJTs plus two current sources) both allow a Vq that is quite low, accommodating low Re values.

If you follow the links to the article and read the three parts available, you'll see that device matching is important in class-i.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

Just for fun look up the Musical Fidelity A1, namely the output stage... so this has been done before, quite a long time ago, actually. There is also a better way of supplying the bias voltage, by injecting a small surrent into the feedback node. Then the input side of the differentials can be simply connected together (A1 connects only for AC using one coupling cap per side but this can be simplified to a straight-through DC connection).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.