Pre-amp woes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is my first post on this site.

I recently acquired an old Adcom GTP-500 II, pre-amp, for 20 dollars, that was worked on, and it worked OK. The previous owner ditched it for high-end equipment. The previous owner had replaced most all of the caps with Panasonic 105 C. low ESR FC caps. It worked OK, but the bass bias was a little high, and it chopped the highs a tad, when compared to running the CD player directly into the power amp.

After using it for a week, I moved it to another room, and accidentally plugged the CD player into the "lab" input. Now, it won't work with any input except FM, and that is a very distant, very weak sound, almost a ghost.

I have only dabbled in electronics for less than a year, so you see my problem. I am having problems troubleshooting. I tested the CD out, the Tape 1, tape 2 video out, and they do not function. All fuses are intact, and all relays check out OK. All lights and indicators look normal. Where to start???

Update...Not knowing much on troubleshooting, I did a physical check, looking for anything out of place, and found that the jostling during moving, rattled two of the cables loose. The previous owner did not close the connectors during reassembly. There were also two caps loose on the board (improperly soldered, and loose in the mount.) All's well now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.