power cord break-in or burn-in is there such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgians

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Define "Ale".

I won't ask you to define "chocolate", I promise...:D

Cheers,;)

Ah, gee, what comes to mind? What is most common here in the U.S. is the triple IPA Piratt. Also, the Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label) is very abundant. I like the Triple Kasteel but my buddy likes the Val_Du the best. Do any of these ring a bell?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Ah, gee, what comes to mind? What is most common here in the U.S. is the triple IPA Piratt. Also, the Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label) is very abundant. I like the Triple Kasteel but my buddy likes the Val_Du the best. Do any of these ring a bell?

Some do...

Ah...well, just for info: no Belgian Beer carries the suffix "Ale".

All of the beers you mention are beers that are brewed in traditional ways, trappist and tripple are abbey beers the others may be local brewery beers.

Tonight I had a few Pere Abbe trappists which are brewn especially for G.B. ( a major food supplier) and I'm now having a Brigant.

The commercial future of these beers becomes more and more uncertain by the day though....

As you may have noticed I try to do the best I can to support them as I believe these are really good for one's health and they are an important part of our local tradition.

We have a nice thread on beers burried here :

FAVOURITE BEER

If you want to know more about a particular brand feel free to ring my bell...errrrr....e-mail.

Thank you for your interest and enjoy while you can,;)

fdegrove:
Do you really have multi-strand running inside the wall?

Yeah. Seven twisted strands as rigid as all hell. Pain in the *** to work with. Don't ask me the exact part no./electrical designation 'cos I don't know.

I did install a bunch of LV downlighters recently and wired these with twin-cable called Serfex, which is solid core. I believe similar solid core is also used in routine house wiring.

DrG

Peter Daniel
What I think, it creates changes (even if it's 20cm long). Some perceive those changes as improvements, but this is not always the case. But definitely, changes are there.
Well that's what several folk think. And I think that's what they truly believe. But (a) there is no physical way this can be possible and (b) most others agree there is no audible difference. I have never heard a difference and I sold Hi-Fi part time for several years. This is not to say I'm any kind of guru, which I am not, only that I had the opportunity to play around extensively with all manner of cables.

My observations were that people tend to hear what they want to hear, and the less their understanding of electricity, the more prone they were to such conclusions. No insult intended here, Peter.

DrG:

"So, I ask with tears in my baby blues: "How, Paleface...?" How is this possible? "

About testing, blind or not :rolleyes:

As we knows the Ferrari - team does a lot of tunimng & research on their F1-cars, allways trying to improve. (as we do..)
`What if they tryed out the cars on a panel of people, not knowing witch car was improved?? Lets say ten guys picked out from a contest in a car-magazine.. ;)

Would you make conclusions based on their judgement, or would you prefer to wait for Mr. Schumaker to take a few laps?

For all I care folks might be blind or deaf or whatewer, it doesn`t matter. The only thing that counts is if their level of skills, competance.

Some of you might even tell you don`t hear any improvement after adding solid powercords,(- they should be shielded too;) )
that`s fine for me, no prob. It`s not my money you`re waisting.

But others might hear, and mybe even start to think a little; " - if there`s that much loss in just a few feets of stranded powercable, then what about speakercables? (a.s.o)
(- good thinking, you`re into something..:rolleyes: ;) )

Paleface :angel:

Yes, don't worry I am open minded. My status as a student is irrelevent here because this isn't my major, it's a hobby. I do this for the fun of it. Obviously a decent connection to the wall is called for with any amplifier but you have probably run out of things to tweak when you start playing with the power cord. If voltage sag is that big of a problem, use a higher rated transformer for more headroom. I don't care if your power cord costs $300, chances are, the stuff running through the walls doesn't. What's wrong with picking a cable of good gauge? Your power will run through hundreds of feet of dirt cheap copper wire before it touches your sacred power cord, you don't see anything wrong with this picture? The thing about being a student is after a while, you get used to seperating the things that matter from the BS.

Please try to be consequent in your moderating SY! DrG`s comments to me are not worthy a serious debat.

DrG:

"So, I ask with tears in my baby blues: "How, Paleface...?" How is this possible? "

I`ve been in this game for too long to waist my time arguing with nay-sayers.
I find it kind of facinating to see how some people are capable of having the clearest wiews about a certain case without having any experiences related to the subject.

On the other hand, discovering the potential of a simple thing like using solid powercables was one of my biggest jaw-dropping experienses, I really couldn`t belive my ears :eek:

I just sold our house

I just found the Harmonic Technology Magic Power Cord ( http://www.audioreview.com/Cables/Harmonic Technology,Magic,Power,Cord/PRD_124402_1584crx.aspx ) and since I have 12 pieces of audio and video gear it cost me $18,000 at $1,500 each so I had to sell my house to pay for it but just think how good my sytem will sound when I set it up in downtown L.A. where all the other homeless people live.

P.S. My new house is a cardboard box. Can anyone recommend a way to waterproof it? It looks like it may rain soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.