Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2013, 11:14 PM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Default Dear Terry, your transformer can "produce" 350 watts RMS of sound

So, it will be good to power two channels of the Dx Super A operating at 8 and also 4 ohms.

In the reality your will have to adjust your Dx Supply to 35 volts to keep some volts available to the regulator to do it's job... this way your output power gonna be 50 plus 50 watts RMS at 8 ohms.... 100 plus 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms and will be able to put out 160 plus 160 watts RMS at 2 ohms.

Your heatsink must be bought to dissipate 250 watts each one of them.... i do think in the internet you can buy heatsinks using the watts as data to enter..if not, then ask a forum friend to help you.

I am a Broadcasting Television Professional, and a Psychologist as a degrée (never used...just a paper to decorate wall)...i also do not understand about heatsinks.

I have developed a method.... and this is easy to understand:

A squared blade of aluminum, 4 inches size to each side, 1 to 1.5 milimeters thick, is good to an amplifier putting out 10 watts RMS of audio.

So, 2 blades (fins) will be good to 20 watts

So, 3 blades (fins) will be good to 30 watts

this way you can evaluate the heatsinks you have...based into dimensions.... convert into area multiplying side by side and make your calculations

Each amplifier channel, will need 16 of these blades to continuous power.... a half of that for music...but if you push it hard at 2 ohms...if you gonna use 4 and 8 ohms...these heatsinks you see inside mini audio systems will fit..these ones you see attached to STK audio amplifier modules..count the fins and evaluate...this is all i can do to help you.

No problem to make mistakes...if you decide for a really big heatsink..much bigger than the size you need..the result will be your amplifier operating cool...if you decide for an unit smaller than the needed size, then it gonna be too much hot and you will attach a fan to help the cooling...just that.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 22nd September 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:03 AM   #1002
diyAudio Member

Another question if you don't mind. I have several 4700uf 50V caps. Will these be OK in PSU board if only using 25-0-25VAC transformer?
Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 02:37 AM   #1003
diyAudio Member

I can try answer that if Carlos doesn't mind. Just multiply voltage of the transformer x 1.41. This will give the dc rail voltage. 25x1.41=35v dc. I usually choose something 10% or better. So 50v caps are perfect.

Simon
Old 23rd September 2013, 04:45 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you dear Simon

I am glad you are here to help.

regards,

Carlos
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:05 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Default Almost half or the whole batch was sold.

I suggest you to move.

Well.... in one month we gonna have white pcboards from Zimmer too..the Brazilian pcboards.... same price.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juan pcboards 1.JPG (783.2 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Juan pcboards 2.JPG (773.3 KB, 280 views)
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:49 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Wow, OK, so I sent payment at 3PM on Saturday and the boards arrived today. Simply amazing. Nice boards too. So much for me gathering the parts while I waited for the boards.

Only one bummer, the PS caps that I was hoping to use don't fit. The caps I have are 35mm and the board needs 25mm. Not a huge deal but there are twelve of them. Looking on ebay right now. I already completed my order from Mouser. That should be here any day.

Thanks Juan for being so prompt!

Blessings, Terry
Old 24th September 2013, 12:05 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Terry see if you can drill new hole for your caps to fit. Usually excess traces on filter cap are adaptable to different size caps...
Old 24th September 2013, 02:14 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargasmongo3435 View Post
Hello guys

well I like to share my ideas as always I was simulating how the final project looks like using Google Sketch
Hi Juan, I really like the way you have mounted both amplifiers (stereo pair) on a single heatsink. I will be building my DX SuperA with single heatsink in the middle of the case seperating the transformer and regulator board.

In my opinion this makes for a "cleaner" looking case (no heatsinks visible on the sides or back of case).
Old 24th September 2013, 03:25 AM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vargasmongo3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Wow, OK, so I sent payment at 3PM on Saturday and the boards arrived today. Simply amazing. Nice boards too. So much for me gathering the parts while I waited for the boards.

Only one bummer, the PS caps that I was hoping to use don't fit. The caps I have are 35mm and the board needs 25mm. Not a huge deal but there are twelve of them. Looking on ebay right now. I already completed my order from Mouser. That should be here any day.

Thanks Juan for being so prompt!

Blessings, Terry

I'm happy for you mister Terry you did get the boards fast wow !

Regards
Juan
Old 24th September 2013, 03:48 AM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vargasmongo3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu32 View Post
Hi Juan, I really like the way you have mounted both amplifiers (stereo pair) on a single heatsink. I will be building my DX SuperA with single heatsink in the middle of the case seperating the transformer and regulator board.

In my opinion this makes for a "cleaner" looking case (no heatsinks visible on the sides or back of case).
can you make a quick drawing of your idea if possible ?

Regards
Juan

Hide this!Advertise here!