Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

.............The ones watch my videos knows we can put out, at least 4 watts RMS because of 20% efficiency in class A operation.................
This is complete fiction !

A Push Pull ClassA output stage has a theoretical 50% maximum efficiency when the output is at the theoretical maximum.
eg.
with 20V supply rails and a theoretical perfectly lossless output stage the maximum output is Vpk=Supply Rail voltage.
The theoretical maximum ClassA current is = twice the output stage bias current.
Let's set the bias current to 1A.
The theoretical maximum ClassA output current is 2Apk, twice 1A bias.
The theoretical maximum ClassA power is 20Vpk * 2Apk / 2 = 20W
The supply rails are supplying 1A @ +-20V. The quiescent power dissipation of the idealised output stage is 40W.
The idealised efficiency is 20W/40W = 0.5, i.e. 50%

You cannot invent a 20% figure for efficiency and try to con Members into believing you are correct just because you stuck that rubbish in a video.

Well boys... Mr. Andrew is always very fast, and efficient, to bring bad news

He is right... power is only 1 watt.... in pure class A, but this is not a tragedy, as we can increase bias (double) and then we will have 2 watts each channel and this is much more than we need to a civilized and confortable audition, in special classic music during the "pianissimo" moments.

1 watt per channel is fine too, as we gonna have 2 watts and this was tested down the seventies by some famous designers and considered enought.

So, we have what is enough, sadly with a very low efficiency.

You can reduce your bias settings to 70mA with your trimpot adjust to the maximum, this will keep this level (a little bit bigger than the standard 20mA used to the Dx Blame series of amplifier) till you reach 6 watts, then it gonna be reduce step by step and above 10 watts (till 80 watts RMS) you will have the standard 20 mA current..... we will never supress the DC bias..it will be there all time long.

So, you have three main options i suggest, first is to keep the 250mA per rail bias, this is good and enough and confortable.... heat is not that big and sound is awesome.... you can increase to 500 mA per rail..this is a little bit crazy, but you can if you want, and you can ajust to Class AB operation...so, this amplifier become a three in one... three options in the same amplifier, depending your stand by bias setting.

It is not a Class A amplifier, also it is not a Class AB amplifier, it is the best option i think, as we can adjust the way we want.

Alike the music shown, it is and it is not class A...it looks Class A (till one watt) and then it looks Class AB, but it is advanced bias, increased bias till 6 watts..and them it will be really Class AB.

Enjoy and be happy folks... the best amplifier i have made is now offered to the community to build and enjoy....it is sounding much better than the previous models, and it is playing nice sound with all my 4 speakers...all them cheap units...this is the advantage..to play good sound with cheap speakers... i cannot see advantage to obtain nice sound with 5000 dollars speakers...they do anything more than their obligation to play a nice tone being so expensive.

I am happy, i love to be happy, i am a positive guy and i dislike negative people that only exist to bring us down, or to drive us mad, or to bring bad news and never good news..so... i take as my right not to read or answer people that drives me sad.

About heat... i found it stable...but some guys may face troubles if they use small heatsinks, bad ventilation with heatsinks inside enclosure, or making mistake while adjusting the stand by bias... these ones may need a fan blower to help them.

Adjust it measuring voltage drop into one of our 4 power emitter resistors (220 ohms) to 50 milivolts DC without any audio entering your amplifier.

Play for 10 minutes, do it loud, and then adjust it once again...it should be adjusted while hot..then observe the voltage drop monitoring one emitter resistor...if goes increasing voltage (bias increasing) then increase heatsink, remove cover from your equipment or install a fan.

Here is the final video about the subject...the amplifier is ready... approved!

Enjoy 1W each channel in pure class A and 80 in class AB - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

I was invited to this Brazilian forum

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Estou num outro forum Brazuca..jpg
    Estou num outro forum Brazuca..jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 1,063
power is only 1 watt.... in pure class A, but this is not a tragedy, as we can increa

power is only 1 watt.... in pure class A, but this is not a tragedy, as we can increase bias (double) and then we will have 2 watts each channel
Carlos,
how ?
If the bias is set such that there is 1W of ClassA output power available then doubling the bias current increases the available ClassA power to 4 (four) times.

250mA bias ~= 500mApk of ClassA current & that = 1W of ClassA into 8r0.
500mA bias ~= 1Apk of ClassA current & that = 4W of ClassA into 8r0.

Last edited:
Adjustment...i have made a mistake

We must measure 25 milivolts DC in each of the 4 power emitter resistors as voltage drop in stand by mode, no signal entering the power amplifier.

If we have only one pair in the output, then we should adjust 50 mV and check the other power emitter resistor.

Sorry.... i am becoming old...this is happening with me.

regards,

Carlos

Five Brazilians already built the unit and they said sounds wonderfull

and they just cannot switch off...so good is the sound.... i have also felt this way.. i just cannot switch it off anymore.

I am in two Brazilian foruns, and another one is remote controlled (ahahahaha!)

Two of them forgot the heatsinks to the second VAS transistor (BD139) and to the drivers (BD139 and BD140).... they all need, in special the second VAS.

regards,

Carlos

We are working together in perfect harmony...me and Juan Vargas

Well...he is producing the layout and i am bothering suggesting modifications.

Soon we gonna have his layout posted here..... we are working hard.

A video will be posted answering questions Juan has made.... if i like the layout or not..then i am bothering asking him to move parts.... he is very calm with me..if was the opposite i would send him to hell with one way tickets..but he is very nice...much more nice than i can be.

Carlos Mergulhão is the words you should type in the Youtube's adress line..then you will be sent to my channel.

regards,

Carlos

My people, in my country , are building...we already have 8 units playing, all made

yesterday....they said was alike alike a contact with the divine..they have almost felt from the chair they have sitted when listened first time after transforming their previous built Dx Blame ST and Dx Supercharged into Dx Super A.

They said the sound was totaly different, much more clear alike you perceive if someone remove a pillow that was covering the speaker grille.

O felt the same surprise... i do not believe in simulators..... i do use them because people believe...and if they believe will understand my amplifiers are good..and this will drive them to build...and this is what i love to see them doing..but i really do not believe too much related what simulator says (calculation says)....i was very surprised too...also how low is 1 watt in pure class A... a big surprise when comparing one to the other....you see that Nelson Pass is right...he is not crazy as i though first time i saw his monsters (big, huge units with a couple of watts)

I have assembled several units in Class A.... in special the JLH...but the trouble was the lack of comparison, it is hard to perceive differences after you tweak something...without comparison we cannot perceive because our ear/brain adjust everything in a matter of one or two seconds...so.... you start to listen bass from these small speakers in cell phones when there's no bass there...you brain (memory, audio experience) fill the gaps and complete the "whole scenery" introducing the bass that is not there or appear just as a beat into the rithm or harmonic tone....but you listen and you may talk to your nearby friend.

- Listen this bass!

When there's no bass... only inside your brain processor.

Our brain is wonderfull...despite the speed is very slow in processing, it has so many zillions of parallel connections that make it superior to the most modern computer...we have millions of cores if you understand this way... millions of slow processors working at same time and sharing the task in between them.

Well.... sound is awesome.... i have just noticed because i have compared with other units i use together my computer.... and i have used the same speaker i have here in my computer table into the Super A..... difference if like the comparison of water and wine.

My digital camera can record 10 kilohertz but the loss is almost 20 dB... and even this way you can listen some treble in my recordings...say..high frequency treble... tones that appear a little bit poor in the recording due to the lack of superior harmonics.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
If you want to know i have entered, or subscribed, to one more new forum in Brazil

People there respect me and do not bother me...foruns in Brasil does not believe everybody is the same to the law... we do not believe that because the real thing is different.... i do think this equality is fake..not real inside a developed tribe of apes...we came from Apes..watch their behavior and you gonna see this cannot be.

I cannot imagine people doing things some guys did with me, in the past, without forum management to enter, to punish and to block the guy impeaching him to bother Nelson Pass that is one of the most important guys in earth related audio.

My people will never let someone like Nelson be bothered...they will run and kick the guy out in a flash of zillionth of a microsecond..... i am the Brazilian Nelson Pass...and nobody bothers me in Brasil...exception are forum owners.

Why?

When forum starts, then uncle charlie is sweet, works as a workhorse, for free, without any personal interest to obtain profit, always present, posting a lot of things, creating, tweaking and projecting audio amplifiers, inviting people to build, producing advertisement and so on... this makes me an interesting "tool" to invite more guys to the forum...but after some time, forum goes developing and this need will be reducing as forum becomes with thousands and thousands of subscribers...then a lot of business starts to happens inside Brazilian foruns... a lot of advertisers selling 1000 dollars gadgets (audio cables for instance.... with gold and miraculous copper that has no free electrons..ahahahahahah!)... then people ask me thing and i use to say.

- This cable is very good to the ones are selling it making you a fool.

Then i start not to be interesting...and forum management, in Brasil, start to find a good reason to kick me out.

The worst thing is when people start to build my units, to buy parts in group buy and decide to build units that gonna cost 1000 USD or more...when forum has already their brand names to be sold to their subscribers and people do not buy these brands and prefer to build mine (because DIY)...then this reduces their sells.... they fast find a good reason to say i am no good and banish me...happened already three times.

Well..this is the rule here i Brasil..something fake alike "everybody is the same for the law"...foruns here are business..they invite people to sell things to them..this is the target..this is the objective..this is the plan..their "inside job".

People are not the same...if Nelson remove himself from the forum, it will almost die..how we can understand him as the same value as me, for instance....does not make any sense.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos, chill out....you are making fine amps.....they work good, many have tried it....do not be defensive.....:D use your ignore button instead.....;)

i have my best friend from high school and he is now in the states, he makes a lot of fine tube amps in the 60's and 70's, but if you ask him about technical matters, you get blank stares, but make damn good tube amps he did.......in the end it is the outcome that matters....

there are those who can only do "yappity yaps".....but nothing to show for it when it comes to finished amps....

Than you very much Tony... you are right...i am defensive

Because i have received a lot of kicks in my back yard... then i became too much alert.

I would like to ask people, please, to remove parts indicated... i found they are not more needed to the Dx Super A.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Remova partes indicadas.jpg
    Remova partes indicadas.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 932
  • Remove them from blue board.jpg
    Remove them from blue board.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 921
Here you have two examples of adjustment

Dear friends

Simulator is a sophisticated calculator machine, a very good tool for us..but it is based into standard parameters from transistors... the BD139 data the simulator use is not the same as my transistor in real life.

In my home, i have used 560 ohms resistor from Base to Emitter and the trimpot adjusted was exactly and precisely in mid way... mid range... or 100 ohms to our 200 ohms trimpot...this have adjusted the current to 250mA.

You see, that simulators make their own calculations based in their transistor.

As a result of that, before you switch your power on, start with your trimpot in the mid range and read DC milivolts voltage drop directly above and atop of one of the power emitter resistors...then adjust the voltage readed (without signal entering the amplifier) to 25mV if you will be using 2 pairs in the output, and 50mV to a single pair or power transistors in the output.

Check this voltage drop to other emitter resistor and let the amplifier warm up...put some audio and increase the volume till you have distortion in your speaker (be aware this may be more than 90 watts RMS in 8 ohms speakers)... may be interesting to use a dummy load to do that...then, with your heatsink hot (more than 50 degrees celsius) adjust once again and go monitoring your voltage drop to see if it will be increasing.

If this happens, say, the increasing in voltage drop, means your heatsink is not good or not enough...or your ventilation is not fine...or that you may need a fan blower to help you to cool down the whole thing.

Enjoy your amplifier... people that has built said sound is impressive...the same i said to you.... have eated the Dx Blame ST in the breakfast.

We have 100 kits from the blue boards (Supercharged) and 100 kits from the green boards sold (inside group buys, inside brazilian forum, cost price) operating in Brasil....some more units have also being built with folks making home etching of their pcboards.... some of them are upgrading and updating their pcboards to the Dx Super A.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Adjustment 1.jpg
    Adjustment 1.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 865
  • Adjustment 2.jpg
    Adjustment 2.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Yes, they are into their limit, despite i have used them with 55V supplies

I have one amplifier, built last year that is still working, a gift i made to a young student i had... i was teaching him audio electronics...he push the unit hard and daily, he loves to play loud..it is working.

In the reality, i have some voltage drop because supply is not that good..but even this way, full power, even distorted power, it is higher than 45 volts DC.

I will try to know the manufacturer to inform you as soon as possible, i am at work and i have no transistor to watch the brand name at this moment...in a couple of hours i will inform you Homemodder.

You see that they, probably publish specifications considering worst case...real world these components can face more voltage.... but thermal dissipation i do think they publish the best case, exactly the opposite.

I have no doubts it works..reason why i am using it... several units at my home are operating in this same supply...no troubles.... they are doing the job without complains... maybe because supply voltage drop.

If i am not mistaken, you have made this question before...and i have made the same answer to you... yes.... i have this transistor datasheed, from Philips, Onsemi and other manufacturers too.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I already have a lot of guys that wants to make pcboard layout

The first interested is Juan Vargas... and we are working together in perfect harmony.... then i had the offer from Zimmer, yesterday was Naldo, also Herman and today i have perceived that Mitchel is also interested.;)

Alex mm is another one that use to produce layout too...this time he looks not that interested...but of course he is welcome if he want to move.... to get in action..well..he can made this kind of thing in 10 minutes because highly skilled doing pcboard layout.

This is good, i will open to all of them to produce, this way people will have the choice here in Brazil.

Mitchel is the one use to make layouts... he made the green board after TAJ had give up because too much busy in his work...then he made the Supercharged blue boards.... he said would stop, because studying to a competition to enter Petrobrás...he suceeded and waiting the call to start working draining Oil from presalt oil reserves... i do think he may be in the lawyer departament as he has graduated in laws... he said yes and no...but now he is saying "maybe" because the amplifier is growing up very fast and people here, down in Brasil, is interested.

I do welcome anyone that wants to help... i hate pcboard layout software, i do not want even to learn the stuff...so.... it is opened to people to contribute.

I do not make any secret that i love the work from Mitchel, because he is tuned with my ideas about pcboards..he already made and he knows i want things aligned, i want clearance in between parts, i do not like empty spaces, i do not like big boards and i do like square boards,... not a rectangle... i do think that is not a good idea parts touching one each other as this is not needed..we have room to share clearance in between them, i do love symmetry and the smallest pcboard size possible because of cost...i do love red pcboards, white pcboards, Coffee colour pcboards and blue pcboards and dislike green pcboards...i do prefer jumper instead of long tracks..but better is not to have jumper and to have small lenght to tracks, i do love clearance in between nearby copper tracks to avoid capacitances in between these tracks ... and all that Mitchel already knows and does that automatically without make me spend more than a couple of minutes inspecting... we work together like a well lubricated machine..things goes smoothly... i just go helping him to check if there's a mistake or not in the pcboard..he also knows i hate identification numbers printed (R2, C3, Q5) and he produces images showing these ID numbers but in the pcboard all you can see is values (200 ohms, 1K, 2N5401, 100n)...so... we are deeply tuned while in between Juan and me, we are turning the tune knob to adjust ourselves one to the other.

If Mitchel decide to enter..will be very welcome and will be one more cooperating...for sure he will be accepted in Brasil as he is famous here.:)

Juan will be producing layout too and all guys that wants to produce will be welcome.

These are the most fresh news about.

On time!... i have just received a message from Mitchel (Miguel Nabuco) he said he will make several layouts... one the new pcboard including the Super A, another will be an adaptor pcboard to use together the Dx Blame ST green board and the Supercharged blue board, another option may be the output filter in an external small pcboard to install nearby the speaker output connector in the amplifier's back panel.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited: