Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

Here you have the link to the Dx Supply thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...utput-adjustable-stabilized-power-supply.html

last Dx Supply page shows layout and updated schematic

Juan have not ordered these boards, so, you have to make it at home by yourself.

Circuit was simplified and reduced in size, so, the in the last page you will have modified schematic and reduced size layout.

Link below explains important details... read it with carefull, if a doubt remains then post questions in that dedicated thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...le-stabilized-power-supply-3.html#post3337257

Juan Vargas produced pcboards and sold them all....now a days Zimmer, from Brasil, is preparing a batch of Brazilian boards and i do think they gonna finish before release as people is going to him to make reservations:

imap.eletro@gmail.com

Juan can order new batch if he wants.... so, go to him and make your reservations... to order or not to order is up to these folks.

My job is to create, design, build and test prototype, help in the layout prepare, test the layout, assemble new prototype based into the layout and to make some advertisement with videos and posts..this is all i do...i do not touch money...thanks God i do not need to do that.

We are not awesome, we are just crazy fanatics..since very young, all of us get in passion with audio electronics...we just cannot stop to do it...it is more a disease than a quality.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Supply - a.jpg
    Dx Supply - a.jpg
    858.2 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:

Attachments

• Dx Super A etching.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Dx Super A light sensitive UV light.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 224
  • pcbcir3.gif
    pcbcir3.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 619
  • pcbcir4.gif
    pcbcir4.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 578
  • pcbcom4.gif
    pcbcom4.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Thank you Juan,

..as always excellent design from a new revolutionary pcb artist...:up:
..by next month it is summertime in my place perfect for DIY works..:D
BTW, I do toner transfer etching. Maybe someday I could try the photosensitive etching I heard the material is expensive here in my place.:(

Regards!

Dear Mr. Carlos,

I'm interested to build this amp but not really sure if the amp will perform same using +36/-36 supply and I'm thinking about the DX Blame ST, you may have explained this before but I thought I was not able to follow this thread for a long time and sure missed out a lot of informations along the line. I know that the design is based from MKII with +42/-42 supply, but if I want to adopt the Supper A to Blame ST what will be the parts I need to change? And can I still follow the same adjustment for bias?

More power to you!!!

Regards,
Wattodo

Dx Super A will work fine with 36 volts too

There's no problem about it, your output power will be reduced to 50/100/180 watts RMS aproximately (8, 4 and 2 ohms)... but the overall audio quality will not change.

You may need to readjust the value of the resistor we have in series with the bias trimpot in order to adjust the current you want with this reduced supply voltage because the trimpot may not have range to do it.

Dx Blame ST is always a good option too...not anymore the best Dx amplifier because the Dx Super A have beated the Dx Blame ST...naturally, one is evolution considered the other.... last model would not be released if worse than the previous one as this does not make sense.

regards,

Carlos

Wow, your amp is really amazing!!!
No worry at all because my concern is more on the sound quality and not mainly about the distortions. I've heard some amps that are advertised with distortion to be almost non-existent, yes true the sound is very clear but very fatiguing also that's why i'd rather go to an amp with a bit of distortion but pleasant to listen to.. of course it's only my personal preferences.

I believe you that's why I will try to build your amp and you always help the beginners as I consider myself to be one.

Many thanks and again more power to you!!!

//wattodo

Yep... have lost a little.... it was tuned and the supply voltage is important

In the place to have a ratio of 6 to 1 related second and third harmonics.. with your supply voltage the ratio is 4 to 1..... what does this means.... more third harmonic..and humans usually do not appreciate third harmonic.

If you want the best possible performance to this amplifier..then search for a 30 plus 30 volts AC transformer.

It can operate with three AAA batteries to each rail (4.5 plus 4.5 volts)..but the sound will not be good...also the power will not be good...naturally.

There's no magic... was designed to 42 plus 42 volts.... so...the performance is optimized to this voltage..if you change something it is probable you gonna loose something..because optimized means the "best possible performance" under these conditions.

regards,

Carlos

I have made text instructing Brazilians about the Dx Supply and Dx Super A

Details about fuses rating, transformers VA rating to several levels of power, needs of electrolitic condensers and things alike.

I do think it is very usefull and may answer a lot of questions.

Now a days language can be translated using Google translator...you just copy and paste there... write portuguese in the left side and in the rigth side select your own language...not perfect but helps a lot.

I will be posting two word docs, not opened if possible, because not the forum main language, and i would like to say this was posted before in several threads, it is just infomation i put together.

We have several countries that uses portuguese..also Italians are able to understand and several spanish language countries can also understand.... others, if interested, then go to google and i hope it will make a good version of your own mother language.

Sadly forum system have not accepted doc.... if you want, please write to uncle charlie and i will upload to you.

nanabrother@hotmail.com
carlos.eugenio1951@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Sem título.jpg
    Sem título.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Here you see the Safety Operational Area related the transistor we are using.

To operate full undistorted power (aprox. 300 Watts RMS - 2 ohms) we gonna have 6 amperes to each rail..... 3 amperes to each transistor.... and 3 amperes multiplied by 42 volts result in 126 Watts of power in each one of them... datasheet says it can handle 230 Watts...so... we are not operating into the limits.

But the heat generated will be huge...you must keep transistors cool using huge heatsink, also good thermal compound and fan cooling..if inside an enclosure you should have openings in the up cover (holes) and below the circuit board too...air must circulate from down to up that is convection cooling without obstructions...and fan must take this into account..the correct cooling direction to the blow air.

Was tested with huge heatsinks and cooling fan...i had not troubles while using sinusoidal steady tones 3 db below the maximum because this is the average power when playing music.

Current will be 3 amperes to each one of our power transistors.... observe the S.O.A. that shows it can handle 5A.... and this is IF your supply voltage will really stand still in 42 volts...if you do not use a voltage stabilizer then the voltage will drop and then the transistor will work even more confortable.

Despite of all that technicall stuff, i would like to say that you should not trust on specifications, because this was made by manufacturers at 25 degrées celsius and this is not reality...so...better not to force your amplifier..better to use 4 ohms loads to be in the safe side..you will have minimum of 150 Watts RMS and will have peaks much higher than that...the amplifier will work in a very safe way, not so hot, not so dangerous and the best part of it is that you will be rid of the big trouble related speaker impedance.

If you find a speaker, a 2 ohms nominal speaker for instance.... a dual 4 ohms coiled speaker...you may believe you have 2 ohms.....NOT REAL....this will happens at 1 kilohertz, but you will have some frequencies where the impedance will drop down...this is dangerous..because 2 ohms is not 2 ohms anymore and this gonna force the amplifier.

Not only the speaker is the problem..also the crossover that introduces valleys of impedance.... if you see the real thing..the curve...the graphic, you gotta feel panic!..... because of this stuff...better not to force the unit, because it is very good, but cannot hold a panzer tank passing over it, also cannot survive to dinamite, also cannot operate under water, or exposed to direct sunlight or inside an oven.:)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• S.O.A.  -  MJL4281a.jpg
    S.O.A. - MJL4281a.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 371
Despite i have made pcboards having room to use " L" shape adapters

I do suggest you not to use them and to assemble the transistors directly into the heatsink.

" L" shape adaptors, depending on the kind of material used, may be a huge problem to heat transference.

Using them you gonna be limited related the power you will be able to use due to the heat transference problems... even using good grease, even using tight screws and several screws, flat surface, big contact surface and good kind of aluminum (duraluminum or aviation aluminum is not good due to be an alloy that is bad to thermal conduction)... even having a lot of care about you may face troubles while operating 4 ohms and 2 ohms.

Do use " L " adaptors only if you intend to operate 8 ohms.... this is what i found here.

regards,

Carlos