diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Cyrus II r/ch distorcion (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/221567-cyrus-ii-r-ch-distorcion.html)

astrostar 15th October 2012 12:50 AM

Cyrus II r/ch distorcion

Hello!

Im new to this forum and Ive been digging here trying to find a solution to a problem ill try to discribe the best I can.

Im the proud owner of a Cyrus II issue 07 date 9111 bougth secondhand 15 years ago and apart a problem some years ago allays have worked perfectely.
Some time ago I noticed the sound on rigth channel was "closed", no bass, no treble, only arround the middles and sound level lower then the left channel. Have been trying to find a solution but without success. Already cleanned knobs.

Any kind of help is welcome, Im not an expert on electronics but I have some experience.

UPDATE: After more readings in this forum regarding similar problems,a user (godfrey) mencioned about a speaker problem and I went to check that and, indeed, it is a speaker problem, the speakers are a TDL RTL3, I disassemble the entry part and made a bypass between input A and input B and now it sounds alot better.

Anyway, once Amp is open, what are the mods I can do to improve its performance a bit more? Capacitors on PSX? capacitors on Amp?

Many thanks,
Henrique

(ps. sorry my english)

amptech 15th October 2012 09:53 PM

Have you checked the old gold type caps in the preamp stage as these can dry or leak..

Next trace the audio signal around the preamp stage to ensure clean signal, these amps use Darlington o/ps with a catch diode built in test all out puts..

See how you get on.

astrostar 15th October 2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amptech (Post 3202853)
Have you checked the old gold type caps in the preamp stage as these can dry or leak..

Next trace the audio signal around the preamp stage to ensure clean signal, these amps use Darlington o/ps with a catch diode built in test all out puts..

See how you get on.

I guess main problem was on speaker, tomorrow ill replace capacitors and power resistor. coils will stay in place.

Regarding those "gold type caps" I dont see any "gold" components except the ones close to the diodes (rectifiers) on power IN
Are you talking about 2 caps below green ribbon c43 and c44 (470/6) ?

Thanks, :)

v2graeme 25th December 2013 05:42 PM

Similar Issue

I think I have a similar issue - my Cyrus II (07 Flip Switch) + PSX has very light bass in the Right Channel compared to the Left.
I have switched the speakers around and switched the input and can verify that it's the amps problem.
Where should I be looking ? those same two capacitors ?
Thanks Graeme
PS Both items have never been touched since the original purchase - so when I go in there is there other work I should perform ?

v2graeme 11th January 2014 06:53 PM

OK - now have replaced the two capacitors under the green ribbon with Panasonic FMs - same problem - light weight bass in the left channel. Did not see any other dry joints or odd capacitors.
Removed the PSX and reverted back to Cyrus II own PS - still same issue.

Now at a loss - looking for any ideas to save me getting into the modern world with spending money ?

sippy 11th January 2014 07:08 PM

Hi, I have a much loved late model CyrusII + PSX and it is close to needing signal caps and rca sockets.
My problem is - Where can I get / what is the 'thermal interface' tape for the output devices?
Sorry to semi-hijack the thread, but have not seen this mentioned in any other..... info will be of use to other CII owners as well.

Mooly 11th January 2014 07:22 PM

Do you mean thermal pads ?

Insulators | CPC | Results

K10-54 - BERGQUIST - THERMAL PAD, TO-220 | CPC

mjf 11th January 2014 07:47 PM

......in post4 you mentioned: ......has very light bass in the Right Channel compared to the Left.

and post5:
.....- same problem - light weight bass in the left channel.
confusing.
can you test you speakers ,each one?

sippy 11th January 2014 07:52 PM

Thanks Mooly :up:

Mooly 11th January 2014 07:57 PM

Your welcome :)

(make sure you identify the correct package outline such as TO220, TO247, TO3 etc. Should be widely available)