Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default I just designed an amplifier to power big speakers with small voltage!

made out of one transistor and one single resistor I am able to get a lot of bass out of two double A batteries and it sounds really clear too! in between the two batteries wired in series I have placed a resistor between two wires and now it's super loud and clear too! almost perfectly clear bass from a 12" subwoofer!
plus a little bit of subwoofer movement as well!!! (perfectly visable cone movement!) it hits down to easily 4hz! and its really powerful too! with only just two double A batteries and they're probably half dead anyways! (found one battery lying outside and picked it up off the ground)
it sounds like at least 2 watts or more cause it's pretty loud and really clear and its pumping out bass like crazy! together the batteries only get like 3 volts or less because they're probably half dead (who knows) and they're still bumping like crazy! and really clear too!
I would call it the most efficent amplifier but of course there's always something better
I modified my original amplifier design and changed where the resistor was and now it easily bumps my subwoofer pretty loud! I'm gonna have to take some screenshots sometime and post them so you can see what I've come up with

edit! I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!!
I'll upload a screenshot soon to show you how it is set up!

Last edited by realflow100; 8th October 2012 at 05:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
__________________
Never explain - your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway - E. Hubbart
Check out Linear Audio Vol 7
!
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
jmillerdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lawton, OK, USA
Can we see a schematic?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100
I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!
Nobel prize for free energy? (Or a Darwin Award?)
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
This was your original amp I think,
I finally made a good working transistor amplifier

If you can post pictures of the new one and describe the connections we'll try and see what you have come up with
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------
A simulation free zone. Design it, build it, test it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
jkuetemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Paris, Ontario
Download LT Spice and draw us up a schematic so we can really see what you are up to.
__________________
---Jason Kuetemann---
When the student is ready, the master appears. VSSA Boards Available Here
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Okay just give me a minute I'll post it soon!

edit: How do I draw the transistor in the software?

Last edited by realflow100; 8th October 2012 at 06:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 02:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour, on the east coast
Learning to use simulation software is great idea and eventually, we will all need to use software to draft, prove and analyse our experiments. However, this takes time to learn and then to post here.

Assuming you have a scanner available, why not neatly draw your schematic with a felt pen and attach the image to your next post. That will be a lot quicker until you get up to speed with any drafting/Spice program.
__________________
regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 04:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
made out of one transistor and one single resistor I am able to get a lot of bass out of two double A batteries and it sounds really clear too! in between the two batteries wired in series I have placed a resistor between two wires and now it's super loud and clear too! almost perfectly clear bass from a 12" subwoofer!
plus a little bit of subwoofer movement as well!!! (perfectly visable cone movement!) it hits down to easily 4hz! and its really powerful too! with only just two double A batteries and they're probably half dead anyways! (found one battery lying outside and picked it up off the ground)
it sounds like at least 2 watts or more cause it's pretty loud and really clear and its pumping out bass like crazy! together the batteries only get like 3 volts or less because they're probably half dead (who knows) and they're still bumping like crazy! and really clear too!
I would call it the most efficent amplifier but of course there's always something better
I modified my original amplifier design and changed where the resistor was and now it easily bumps my subwoofer pretty loud! I'm gonna have to take some screenshots sometime and post them so you can see what I've come up with

edit! I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!!
I'll upload a screenshot soon to show you how it is set up!
well. the voltage will hold back the power. you may have 4V at the output maybe. that is 2W peak at 8ohm. 4W peak at 4ohm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
This was your original amp I think,
I finally made a good working transistor amplifier
Those pic's look like UFO shots...The truth is out there...
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A small, low-voltage, battery operated amplifier Elvee Headphone Systems 29 6th November 2012 06:13 PM
Big bass from small power johnr66 Subwoofers 6 5th March 2010 03:40 PM
Amplifier to Drive small speakers haseeb Multi-Way 7 30th April 2008 04:24 PM
OB big sonding small speakers inrank Multi-Way 0 23rd July 2006 06:34 PM
Small BIG power for not so high-end class D diy’s Joep Zonnebloem Class D 29 29th April 2005 04:39 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:56 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2