Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I just designed an amplifier to power big speakers with small voltage!

made out of one transistor and one single resistor I am able to get a lot of bass out of two double A batteries and it sounds really clear too! in between the two batteries wired in series I have placed a resistor between two wires and now it's super loud and clear too! almost perfectly clear bass from a 12" subwoofer!
plus a little bit of subwoofer movement as well!!! (perfectly visable cone movement!) it hits down to easily 4hz! and its really powerful too! with only just two double A batteries and they're probably half dead anyways! (found one battery lying outside and picked it up off the ground)
it sounds like at least 2 watts or more cause it's pretty loud and really clear and its pumping out bass like crazy! together the batteries only get like 3 volts or less because they're probably half dead (who knows) and they're still bumping like crazy! and really clear too!
I would call it the most efficent amplifier but of course there's always something better
I modified my original amplifier design and changed where the resistor was and now it easily bumps my subwoofer pretty loud! I'm gonna have to take some screenshots sometime and post them so you can see what I've come up with

edit! I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!!
I'll upload a screenshot soon to show you how it is set up!

Last edited by realflow100; 8th October 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 8th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Old 8th October 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can we see a schematic?
Old 8th October 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100
I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!
Nobel prize for free energy? (Or a Darwin Award?)
Old 8th October 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

This was your original amp I think,
I finally made a good working transistor amplifier

If you can post pictures of the new one and describe the connections we'll try and see what you have come up with
Old 8th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Download LT Spice and draw us up a schematic so we can really see what you are up to.
Old 8th October 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Okay just give me a minute I'll post it soon!

edit: How do I draw the transistor in the software?

Last edited by realflow100; 8th October 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Learning to use simulation software is great idea and eventually, we will all need to use software to draft, prove and analyse our experiments. However, this takes time to learn and then to post here.

Assuming you have a scanner available, why not neatly draw your schematic with a felt pen and attach the image to your next post. That will be a lot quicker until you get up to speed with any drafting/Spice program.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
made out of one transistor and one single resistor I am able to get a lot of bass out of two double A batteries and it sounds really clear too! in between the two batteries wired in series I have placed a resistor between two wires and now it's super loud and clear too! almost perfectly clear bass from a 12" subwoofer!
plus a little bit of subwoofer movement as well!!! (perfectly visable cone movement!) it hits down to easily 4hz! and its really powerful too! with only just two double A batteries and they're probably half dead anyways! (found one battery lying outside and picked it up off the ground)
it sounds like at least 2 watts or more cause it's pretty loud and really clear and its pumping out bass like crazy! together the batteries only get like 3 volts or less because they're probably half dead (who knows) and they're still bumping like crazy! and really clear too!
I would call it the most efficent amplifier but of course there's always something better
I modified my original amplifier design and changed where the resistor was and now it easily bumps my subwoofer pretty loud! I'm gonna have to take some screenshots sometime and post them so you can see what I've come up with

edit! I changed my circuit just a tiny bit and I've got a 5 volt 800mA usb power supply powering my amplifier. and I've changed the resistors around again and now I'm getting maybe 15-20 watts out of this amplifier!! It's insanely powerful!!
I'll upload a screenshot soon to show you how it is set up!
well. the voltage will hold back the power. you may have 4V at the output maybe. that is 2W peak at 8ohm. 4W peak at 4ohm.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
This was your original amp I think,
I finally made a good working transistor amplifier
Those pic's look like UFO shots...The truth is out there...

Hide this!Advertise here!