Bakoon Amplifiers ~ Slipping Under the Radar of DIY Audio.com!! - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2012, 11:19 PM   #31
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Life is short, make no assumptions, treat everyone's opinions as equal and valid and understand that we all 'hear differently' ...so there is no right or wrong in audio ;-))

Cheers,

Steve.
Yep, there's no right or wrong; but ... there is a higher state of performance in audio reproduction - once experienced, never forgotten ...

I was lucky enough to get this over 25 years ago, and have been chasing it ever since. Once you've heard it there's no going back ... normal hifi gear, no matter how expensive, from then on always sounds like the name implies, a sort of a pretend thing. A bit like a kid who's playing around with cars in his early years, add a huge number of go-faster bits to his engine, lowers the suspension, wide tyres, open exhaust, the whole she-bang. He drives his pride and joy at 120 mph, with a huge racket and vibration happening inside the cabin, and thinks it's the most impressive thing you can experience. Meanwhile, a Ferrari almost unnoticed whips past 20mph faster, practically silently with its occupants largely subjectively unaware of the speed of their vehicle ...

Frank
Old 13th October 2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

All valid points guys and agreed there is a 'proper' way of doing things with electronics and the reproduction of music. However, I learnt some time ago it's pointless trying to change people's mind on things, they are at their point along the journey and it's best to respect this. The listening experience is so subjective anyway, no point arguing about it.

Frank yes, once something good is heard it is hard to go back. The little Bakoon is like that, they are doing something right, hence my enquiry on this wonderfully knowledgeable site as to what this might be?

The Bakoon amp sounds so finessed it is difficult to find an efficient loudspeaker to do it justice.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve M; 13th October 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:57 AM   #33
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Frank yes, once something good is heard it is hard to go back. The little Bakoon is like that, they are doing something right, hence my enquiry on this wonderfully knowledgeable site as to what this might be?

The Bakoon amp sounds so finessed it is difficult to find an efficient loudspeaker to do it justice.

Steve.
Steve, I can only repeat, it's attention to detail, that does it every time! Putting something together with the "right audiophile" bits, in a fancy case, with huge energy spent on marketing will rarely do it, the manufacturer has to have the right attitude in how he does everything to get the right result, IMO.

The Bakoon amp, if it has a genuine, high quality 15 watts, has plenty enough power to do the job -- a speaker of 90dB efficiency or better will be sufficient. I'm currently running 20 watts into about 90dB and that's all that's necessary to deafen yourself if the whole system is working properly. To elaborate, I put on a CD of Status Quo live in 2010 yesterday and was running it at PA sound levels ... my ears were sending me warning signals by the end of the disk ...

A lot of amps start to fall apart when you try and run them to generate realistic sound levels, compress and sound raucous; distort in other words. The thing with the Bakoon is whether it's capable of running cleanly up to the point of clipping the voltage rails; if it can do that then you shouldn't have any problems ...

Frank
Old 29th October 2012, 06:19 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

It is unfortunate that not many people have heard the Bakoon amplifier. I have a feeling the high efficiency speaker guys would go nuts over it's sound. Think about the most finessed amplifier that you have heard with say a Lowther or Feastrex, then take it to another level of refinement - that's where the Bakoon sits.
Old 29th October 2012, 06:37 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of boards/assemblies floating around in my "to be finished and listened to" stack somewhat similar to the current feedback/Bakoon schematics shown so far - one is from ~ 1989 or so Maybe I should finish one and give it a listen - I, too, was somewhat entranced by the AD844-style CFB topology back then. I was also using as a benchmark the current feedback amp detailed in the PMI/SSM databook back then (the "Alexander" amp, if I remember correctly, using an IC and some IGBTs in the output) - I was miffed that my design only clocked in at 75V/us - but then, it was all discrete...

Last edited by wrenchone; 29th October 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 29th October 2012, 10:01 AM   #36
demidan is offline demidan  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

I don't remember the site, was russian one -the name of the article was "Волшебные лампы Пoссейдона" i.e. "Magic Walves of Posseidon" -if You type it into the browser search field, can find a big article about sutable loudspeakers for Bakoon amps. That is, I should say, ...radical.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:52 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Thanks Demidan, I checked out the Russian site, but couldn't find the article on Bakoon compatible speakers. Have you by any chance got a direct link? Sorry to bother you...

Steve.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:19 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Dear Steve! I'LL try to do my best to assist you but I can't say I'll sucseed for sure.
DD
Old 16th November 2012, 04:50 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Mr. Steve, that was an electronic verion of russian musical magasine "Stereo&Video" N10 -2006. unfortunately, it's now no longer exist. Is it necessary to obtain a paper version? (IN Russian) because that Satri man lives in russia.
regards, Dmitry
Old 26th November 2012, 09:18 PM   #40
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is unfortunate that not many people have heard the Bakoon amplifier.
I have, but the speakers attached to it were too demanding and the result was poor.
What interests me more is not the current driving circuit (not new as has been noticed in this thread), but another one they use in the integrated amp, which varies the gain. I know of only two other commercial amps that do it this way, and both sounds great. No diy project unfortunately

PS: very nice blog, I have to re-read it slower

Hide this!Advertise here!