Bakoon Amplifiers ~ Slipping Under the Radar of DIY Audio.com!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 10:34 AM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

We may be "autistic savant guys" (not sure if that was meant as an insult or compliment) but we cannot comment on a circuit we have not seen. Photographs tell us very little.

And who says it sounds 'special'? Anecdotal evidence is known to be highly misleading, especialy when claims are made about something the reporter has had the great wisdom to purchase. Just try asking a man to criticise the new car he has just bought!
Old 10th October 2012, 10:35 AM   #12
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
More shots of the innards of the Bakoon amp. So what's going with the circuit, boys? Any clues as to why it sounds so 'special' ? Apparently the input circuit is very different.

I'm waiting for comment from some of you autistic savant guys to see a unique pattern within these pics ...
One obvious thing: a lot of thought has gone into the power supplies, the smoothing caps are small radials, a large number in parallel. The voltage rails would be very low impedance, and the supply to the circuits superbly stable: this can be a large part of the battle ...

FRank
Old 10th October 2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
We may be "autistic savant guys" (not sure if that was meant as an insult or compliment) but we cannot comment on a circuit we have not seen. Photographs tell us very little.

And who says it sounds 'special'? Anecdotal evidence is known to be highly misleading, especialy when claims are made about something the reporter has had the great wisdom to purchase. Just try asking a man to criticise the new car he has just bought!
Hi DF96,

I'm a pretty easy going Aussie bloke who's been thru' the loop with all things audio ...its all good to me and I mean 'savant/geeky' in the most positive way, its all cool to me! And, you can only judge 'special' in terms of what I have heard and as displayed thru' my Blog Steve M 's Audio System, if that means anything? I'll leave that for others to judge. I am not adverse to DIY projects either as I have made several speakers and amplifiers, although my knowledge and skill is probably poor compared to some of you guys.

Trust me, the Bakoon circuit is a VERY special sounding amp. IME, it cuts through all the bs ...the music just sounds real and is laid bare, raw and wriggling as Gollum on Lord of the Rings would say. The next best amp in my experience is the Nelson Pass F3, which does similar things and with better bass and drive.

Homemodder & fas42: thanks for the comments, its the sort of insight I was seeking to read.

I would like some more thoughts on the Bakkon circuit pics from the many smart guys/gals on this site, including the commercial people who have much to share ...all in the quest of knowledge and good sound, no other motive.

Cheers,

Steve.
Steve M 's Audio System

Last edited by Steve M; 10th October 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:02 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Steve M, your blog reads like audio journalism.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Steve M, your blog reads like audio journalism.
Yeah I guess it does, sorry. I'm just a normal guy who has tried a lot of things, gain from this what you can ?

Steve.

Last edited by Steve M; 10th October 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Yeah I guess it does, sorry.
No worries; none of us are perfect!
Old 10th October 2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Wow, great collection of gear Steve M! I read your blog and drooled!
Old 10th October 2012, 01:52 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Just from looking at the pictures I see some strange things, BNC connectors used as LS connectors? weird..
The power supply looks like a traditional design, a diode bridge with a bank of capacitors (Panasonic FC from the looks of it). I also spot a ALPS pot and a really nice (aluminium?) case.
Nothing really special so far, good quality components probably (as it should be if the price tag is $4K).

If you can post some schematics, then we can have a real look at what's going on with this amp.

Edit: just had a look at your site, looks nice! 1 remark, there is no such thing as a first order LR filter only even order LR configs are possible ;-) http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 10th October 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

satri circuit is the very thing a current conveyor.
they are discussed a lot by japanese diyers,and pointed out some flaws.

Last edited by Shinja; 10th October 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 02:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bonsai & Mark ...my Blog site is nothing more than stuff I have had/heard and my opinions on it, nothing more. Experience does count for something I suppose.

This is why the Bakoon amplifier baffles me, they seem to be doing something right, something that we are ALL chasing - ultimate fidelity ...

Cheers,

Steve.

Hide this!Advertise here!