Suggestions for a low power, 2.1 channel kit/schem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a battery powered amp so I can have it outside, etc... I plan to have it powered by an SLA so 12v if possible.

I've already built a pair of overnight sensations for the primary speakers, and realized that, while they sound great, they deffinately need a sub. So in the "head unit" I'd like to include a small (6"?) sub. In fact, that will likely take up the most space.

So the amp would need to put out around 50watts @ 8oms per channel and then maybe 100 watts for the sub? Open to suggestions there, haven't picked out the driver yet.

I don't have the skills to design my own, but I can follow a schematic or better yet, put together a kit. I've got a lab power supply, signal generator, Oscilloscope, etc... and have built tube amps in the past. Also, I have an extra arduino sitting here... dunno if I can use that for anything.

So, key features:
3 or 4 channels
12-24volts
very efficient
Volume control
Some sort of passive Hi/low pass filter to split the bass off to the sub. Preferably adjustable, if even by just a switch.
Available kit or PCB
has to sound "great" of course
relatively low cost
I do not need multiple inputs, but it wont bother me if they are there.

I did get an "Indeed TA 2020s" a while back but it just didn't have enough umph. Then my father bumped the wrong button on my power supply, dumped 25volts into it and fried it because, while it seems designed relatively well, they never though to fuse it... go figure.

Any suggestions on a kit or PCB I Should get would be greatly appreciated!

Rather than try and get an amp that will run on 12/24v, it would be better to build an SMPS that will take 24V in and put out the required symmetric supply rails. You can find such circuits meant for car use and adapt accordingly. 24V would be better as there would be a LOT of current at 12V.

So would this work?
xy DIY LM3886 68W Amplifier kit -17 | eBay
I'd need 2 for my mains, and 2 for a possibly dual coil sub. Then a DC-DC converter right?

Any suggestions for a preamp stage that had volume control and could split the channels into 4 via high-pass/low-pass filters to power the sub?

acctualy. jims audio have some nice boards for 100W and 150W LM3886 boards. those can be used for the sub ch:)
and yes. a DC-DC converter. and maybe a bigger supply cap bank. and you are there:)

acctualy. jims audio have some nice boards for 100W and 150W LM3886 boards. those can be used for the sub ch:)
and yes. a DC-DC converter. and maybe a bigger supply cap bank. and you are there:)

any suggestions on how I split the signal? I want everything above 150hz or so to go to the mains, and everything bellow to go to the sub. But I'm not even sure how to split the signal.

A cheap solution is to find a pair of those old Pioneer car amps.
They can be bought for a pitance and have very good perfs,
like the GM1200/2000/2200 or nearby models.

Besides a lot of power available with good caracteristics they
have very efficient SMPS as well as generous heatspreaders.

Yea, I was looking at car amps. I could probably get one that does everything I need short of volume control for around $50. But I don't think I'll feel like I've accomplished much if I'm just shoving a car amp in a mahogany box and telling people I built an amp. That's kind of my last resort. I'm having trouble understanding why there aren't more solutions to my problem out there already. Seems like it would be a common thing people would want to build. 2.1 channel DC powered amp, seems like something that should be all over the place.

Unless you add a switching PSU there s not much power that can
be extracted from a 12V PS even with bridged outputs as far as
sound quality remain a concern.

Such a solution is easy to implement using a multichannel bridged
circuit from STmicro or Phillips , there are a few that have
acceptable perfs although not as good as the car amps mentionned
above , not counting the cost and consumed time to build such an amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.