Transformer output on 5-15W Class AB Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all - my first post here.
After a few years tinkering with DIY oscillators, filters and FX - I'm starting to look at simple Class AB transistor amp designs around 5-15W.
My plan is to start with a simple 'cookbook' design and then work up to more complex builds.
I can power it using my bench supply so I'm a long way off worrying about power transformers - but I'm wondering about output transformers on SS designs.
Are there any reasons to consider using an output/audio transformer on these types of amp? If yes - any advice on things to consider?
Hope the question makes sense - I've never worked with transformers before.
Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Output transformers on transistor amps went out decades ago :)

If you are powering an amp from a normal bench PSU then you are really looking at an AC coupled design (and nothing wrong with that at all)

Do you have any specific circuits in mind ?

Good - that's pretty much what I thought.

I was going to start with some schematics from "Diode, Transistor and FET Circuits Manual" by R. M. Marston - which has been a good reference for other transistor stuff I've done.

It starts with a simple 2x BJT complimentary pair and then has variations and add-ons up to a 10W Class AB amp.

I've also ordered a copy of Self's amplifier book but I'm up for hearing about other starting points :)

Thanks for the reply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.