Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 03:00 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Congratulations. I love the look of the milled slot knobs, the blue inset on the brushed anodized front panel. My working dynakit equipment is the plastic knob brown paint front panel, very plebian like the price I paid for them. The St120 is black on black.
The copper wrapped transformer is no slouch, either.
Old 11th November 2012, 04:52 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is a rather handsome bit of kit, and seemingly well looked after. There's no wear on the lettering, just a little dirt that was removed easily with careful cleaning. The knobs were treated to a scrub with dish soap and a toothbrush to clean out the grooves to return the sparkle. It will look great once back together. Then it's time to think about putting the amp to work again

Thanks again to all for comments and advice

Ed
Old 11th November 2012, 06:19 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Congrats with this beautiful amp !

I own one, build it in the 80ís ? and still love it . Had to replace the power transistors and drivers a couple of times after heavy partying ( itís not beer proof )
One warning , donít place it on top of one off your speakers as I did with my Tannoy Berkeleyís .
The giant transformer of the stereo 400 demagnetised one of my HPD385 speaker magnets over the years . I only found out after 2 recones of my left speaker and had the speaker to be remagnetised .

Cheers ,
Rens
Old 19th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

OK, it's time to sign off this thread I'd not had time to complete reassembly of the case last week, plus I wanted to let it sit for a while, then test again just in case trouble made a return visit. All was well when I powered up yesterday, so I checked the bias and set the DC offset of the left channel and put everything back together bar the last cover. Again I fed the amp from my phone, and let it play for a good 1/2 hour at decent volume to "soak test". No problems, no offset drift, no overheating, just music, so I replaced the cover and celebrated the satisfactory completion of the job.

It's been fun, even given the odd frustration. Thanks to all who offered advice and support

Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!