Interconnect between test gear and amplifiers etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All.
I've just recently revamped my shop. pulled out some of my older test gear to put on the bench.
Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys connect your signal generators and o-scopes with their BNC type connectors, to audio amplifiers with jack inputs? IOW, what type of cabling do I need to make up etc??

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Whatever suits really, but most obvious would be BNC leads such as old LAN RG60 cables cut to 1m length and fitted with an RCA/cinch plug. This isn't RF so the connection quality isn't critical but mechanical and electrical security is. Where possible, get professional swaged BNC fitted cable. OTOH, if you work with pro. gear you may need to fit phone jacks or balanced line plugs with differential connections yourself. Take the time to make super reliable connections, it's worth it!

If you plan to cover all the bases and have to buy the connectors anyway, just get one pair of BNC(M)/BNC(M) leads and buy the cheap adaptor fittings from your parts stockist that come in almost any fitting match as required, from audio to microwave. Don't forget to also grab a cheap BNC "T" adaptor for your sig. generator so that you can monitor that or any other source simultaneously since the synch. output is not suitable. These redundant parts were everywhere in massive amounts before ethernet superseded them so they may still be cheaply available at recyclers etc.

Note also that some of the Ebay HK stores selling DMMs also carry cheap but good enough accessories like these BNC leads adapted to a few standard fittings such as banana plugs and even binding posts like the type Pomona (US) still markets.

Last edited:
Lazy, non-DIY solution: BNC cable on BNC>RCA adaptor.

Attachments

• Image2.gif
    Image2.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.