Interconnect between test gear and amplifiers etc - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interconnect between test gear and amplifiers etc

Hi All.
I've just recently revamped my shop. pulled out some of my older test gear to put on the bench.
Just as a matter of interest, how do you guys connect your signal generators and o-scopes with their BNC type connectors, to audio amplifiers with jack inputs? IOW, what type of cabling do I need to make up etc??
Old 24th September 2012, 12:19 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Let me think a moment - - - I know, why not make a cable with BNC on one end and RCA (or whatever) on the other end? Have I misunderstood the question?
Old 24th September 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Whatever suits really, but most obvious would be BNC leads such as old LAN RG60 cables cut to 1m length and fitted with an RCA/cinch plug. This isn't RF so the connection quality isn't critical but mechanical and electrical security is. Where possible, get professional swaged BNC fitted cable. OTOH, if you work with pro. gear you may need to fit phone jacks or balanced line plugs with differential connections yourself. Take the time to make super reliable connections, it's worth it!

If you plan to cover all the bases and have to buy the connectors anyway, just get one pair of BNC(M)/BNC(M) leads and buy the cheap adaptor fittings from your parts stockist that come in almost any fitting match as required, from audio to microwave. Don't forget to also grab a cheap BNC "T" adaptor for your sig. generator so that you can monitor that or any other source simultaneously since the synch. output is not suitable. These redundant parts were everywhere in massive amounts before ethernet superseded them so they may still be cheaply available at recyclers etc.

Note also that some of the Ebay HK stores selling DMMs also carry cheap but good enough accessories like these BNC leads adapted to a few standard fittings such as banana plugs and even binding posts like the type Pomona (US) still markets.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 24th September 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi

This problem is relatively easy to solve, my solution costs some money though, but I normally order some connector converters several outfits sell those BNC to RCA etc.

Hans J Weedon.
Old 24th September 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Lazy, non-DIY solution: BNC cable on BNC>RCA adaptor.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Image2.gif (40.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I use these. Very handy indeed and cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNC to Phono.jpg (42.5 KB, 44 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!