weak bass output from adcom gfa 5500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a new to me adcom gfa 5500...plays loud and clear, just has weak bass responce, is this normal or is there something wrong with it...my other amp it replaced is lower power but has more bass responce than the bigger Adcom, this is my first Adcom amp is this normal for these amps?

Replace the electrolytic capacitors in the feedback network.
which are these you speak of...the 4 large beer can size caps??..or the 8 smaller ones
1718424ihc0z7ishoh7pmc.jpg

it just seems to lack (the punch ) in the bass dept!!, other than this..plays loud and clear...no humm, no pop's or anything else strange..Im at a loss...could it be since the DC offset is a lil high that it maybe needs a (tune up)..I really had high hopes for this amp, it looks so good on paper!

Ok..checked the bias...was within the limits 45mv and 47mv and the offsets are 4.5 mv and 8.0mv....and played it again last nite...and then immediately swap in two other amps just to see...both other amps have more low end(kenwood basicM2/onkyo M504)...what to check now??

Measuring is good advice as djoffe has brought up, or get someone to do an evaluation for you.

There is little satisfaction if you start part swapping unless you have much dollars and time. If you do have dollars and time - get it to a reputable shop for assessment. (Two weeks since you noted as such on AK)

Standard warning for safety - Not knowing your capability / skills I strongly advise you to exercise great care with such a powerful source of energy. No offense meant. Just standard reminder that people are more important than things....

I have the parts list from the service manual, and no schematic, and I dont have any of the other tools u speak of, but just found something fishy, if Im looking at this correctly...the C03 on the parts list states a cap value of 47uf 50v..mine are 1000uf ( there is 8 of these)and 100v..the C09 is the correct value of 47uf 25v...only going by what is on the cap, have not taken any measurements of the caps yet.

Measuring is good advice as djoffe has brought up, or get someone to do an evaluation for you.

There is little satisfaction if you start part swapping unless you have much dollars and time. If you do have dollars and time - get it to a reputable shop for assessment. (Two weeks since you noted as such on AK)

Standard warning for safety - Not knowing your capability / skills I strongly advise you to exercise great care with such a powerful source of energy. No offense meant. Just standard reminder that people are more important than things....

very true... It has just been sitting all week with me pondering what to do...it is looking like I have surpassed my capabilities on this now...was hoping it was something simple(like just some adjustments) ..oh well now to figure out where to send it!...I found a place that has a flat rate for repair since its in working condition for $240.00..is this a fair price if power supply and amp caps and such has to be replaced?

ok...got the word today, here is what was wrong....R-channel: low bias, 25mV DC (high)
L-ch: ok
Both channels need new electrolytic caps
so should get it back in a few days....will report back with how it sounds
hope this sheds some light on this subj for some other people that runs into this similar problem

and here are the results...the bass is back! and does run warm, but has ( what seems to be ) TONS of more power than before, so looks like the 8 caps on top of the 4 BIG ones is the ones that made the bass get really weak when they dry out or whatever goes wrong with them, anyway $240 later...and its all good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.