Faulty Sony TA-F6B - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 07:01 PM   #21
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
Anyone know if the VU meters in this amp (part numbers below) are generic parts which were fitted to a number of other Sony amps from the same period?

If so, does anyone know which amps had these VU meters fitted to them?

Sony 1-520-314-00 or 1-518-273-00

Thanks

Tony

Last edited by twotone 2; 9th October 2012 at 07:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 01:56 AM   #22
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour
I can't verify part numbers without a very detailed old database but most Japanese components are generic. Meters differ in customising mainly in their backcard artwork, OA dimensions and bulb tinting but many are quite similar, even down to a fairly standard 250 or 400uA sensitivity. It's possible that you could replace both with old generic parts that are now back in the "bling" components market. The backcards may even be transferable to a similar sized pair of these, from the originals.

I think you are faced with the same problem of aged bulbs with any used replacement part. Assuming you can prise the clear cover from the rear housing, it should not be difficult to replace the bulb (some cases are held together only with adhesive tape) or, as a necessary measure with coloured lighting, substitute a group of suitable diffuse light LEDs - rectify the 14 or so volts AC and limit current with an appropriate resistor.

It's tedious fitting LEDs, though I have had to fit them several times when the special, miniature festoon bulb type was unobtanium. If you want matched meters, then it's likely you'll have to do the matching and go through these restoration hoops whether you get a similar replacement type or not.
__________________
regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 08:15 AM   #23
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
I can't verify part numbers without a very detailed old database but most Japanese components are generic. Meters differ in customising mainly in their backcard artwork, OA dimensions and bulb tinting but many are quite similar, even down to a fairly standard 250 or 400uA sensitivity. It's possible that you could replace both with old generic parts that are now back in the "bling" components market. The backcards may even be transferable to a similar sized pair of these, from the originals.

I think you are faced with the same problem of aged bulbs with any used replacement part. Assuming you can prise the clear cover from the rear housing, it should not be difficult to replace the bulb (some cases are held together only with adhesive tape) or, as a necessary measure with coloured lighting, substitute a group of suitable diffuse light LEDs - rectify the 14 or so volts AC and limit current with an appropriate resistor.

It's tedious fitting LEDs, though I have had to fit them several times when the special, miniature festoon bulb type was unobtanium. If you want matched meters, then it's likely you'll have to do the matching and go through these restoration hoops whether you get a similar replacement type or not.
Thanks Ian, according to the tech guy someone, in the past, has tried to repair the right hand meter and completely ruined it seemingly losing a spring and other bits where the needle connects to the meter.

Not too sure at this moment whether both meters light up but I think that the repair to the circuit board might have restored power to both of the meters.

I'll just have to wait until Iget the amp back and take it from there but in the meantime I'll keep an eye open on e-bay for those part numbers or is there anywhere else that sells these sorts of parts?

BTW, I own the matching tuner and the VU meters in that look different from the ones in the amp, the meter housings I mean. I know that the backcards are different because of the tuner?amp thing.

Thanks

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 05:46 AM   #24
tomek69 is offline tomek69  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Shanghai
Hi twoton2 , from appearance meters look exactly like used in higher twin brother TA-F7B, in here the meter control circuit have one transistor amplifier ,which is missing in F6B , meters in mine having number 1-520 281-00, also in both TA-F4 and TA-F5 meters are looking similar,
good luck with repair

Last edited by tomek69; 21st October 2012 at 05:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 08:53 AM   #25
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek69 View Post
Hi twoton2 , from appearance meters look exactly like used in higher twin brother TA-F7B, in here the meter control circuit have one transistor amplifier ,which is missing in F6B , meters in mine having number 1-520 281-00, also in both TA-F4 and TA-F5 meters are looking similar,
good luck with repair

Thanks tomek69, much appreciated
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 01:30 PM   #26
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
BTW, guys the amp has been repaired, I'm just waiting on the hi-fi guy getting back to me with the weight and the dimensions of the packing box in which the amp is being transported, in order that I can arrange collection and delivery.

I have the matching Stereo Tuner, the ST-A6B, which I going to send down to him for a service and alignment and check.

The tuner works fine but it is over thirty years old now so I thought it would be good to have it looked at by someone who knows what he's doing with these old units.

This is what was done with the Sony amp

"I have had some success with the Sony.
It is now working correctly. The problem being a broken circuit board which required rebuilding"


&

"Serviced the PSU just required replacement of a few caps. New caps being top notch, long life, 105degree low impedance types from Nichicon and Panasonic"
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:23 PM   #27
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Great news!

You'll enjoy listening to this beauty! You'll have to post pics of it in action!

John
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:50 PM   #28
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
Thanks johnm, the plan is to use it and sell my current Croft micro basic pre (can't stand the dual volume pots) and Sugden A21P.

I bought my son a Sony TA-FA3ES for fifty quid about two years and if the repaired amp is anywhere near as good as that one then I'll be delighted

I'll post up some photos of the sideinside and out when I get it back.

Tony
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 05:54 PM   #29
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Glasgow
Hi guys, I got the amp back on Thursday and frankly it is astonishing, I'm actually amazed at how good this amp is and I'm comparing it to a Sugden A21A and an A21P with a Croft Basic pre-amp, the phono version.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the phono amp in the Sony as it was no where near as good as the Croft's phono stage but I bought the user manual last night on PDF and realised that the amp's phono 2 stage is a MC phono stage which is more suitable to my cart which is a Denon DL 110 low output MC cart.

This second phono stage is at least as good as the Croft IMO but I'll have to do some more listening to make a decent comparison between the two.

I've taken photos of the repair and of the amp so I'll post these up later on.

Thanks

Tony

BTW, anyone who wants a copy of the user manual pm me, it's in English, German & French.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 09:35 PM   #30
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone 2 View Post
Hi guys, I got the amp back on Thursday and frankly it is astonishing, I'm actually amazed at how good this amp is and I'm comparing it to a Sugden A21A and an A21P with a Croft Basic pre-amp, the phono version.

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the phono amp in the Sony as it was no where near as good as the Croft's phono stage but I bought the user manual last night on PDF and realised that the amp's phono 2 stage is a MC phono stage which is more suitable to my cart which is a Denon DL 110 low output MC cart.

This second phono stage is at least as good as the Croft IMO but I'll have to do some more listening to make a decent comparison between the two.

I've taken photos of the repair and of the amp so I'll post these up later on.

Thanks

Tony

BTW, anyone who wants a copy of the user manual pm me, it's in English, German & French.
The phono stage is superb - easily bettered my Trichord Dino +... At least when it was working it did! Still on the lookout for a donor amp so I can get hold of the original output transistors, and a spare PLPS.

Will enjoy seeing the photos of your amps road to recovery!

Cheers,

John.

P.S. It contains a damn good headphone stage too. Missing mine after all this talk
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony TA-F6B PSU repair johnm Solid State 637 25th August 2014 06:02 PM
Sony TA-313 vs Sony TA-F4A........which one??? mark31385 Solid State 10 30th November 2011 07:46 PM
schematics sony Ta- F6B max29 Solid State 5 17th March 2011 07:36 PM
Sony TA-N1 and TA-NR1, how do they sound? lumanauw Solid State 0 28th November 2006 01:51 AM
FS: Sony "Esprit" TA-E901 and TA-N901 pre and power amp MJR Swap Meet 1 6th December 2003 07:55 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2