Resistor Alternative

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In replacing a large can capacitor in my McIntosh C24 preamp, I burned out a 2.2k, 1w, carbon resistor that was attached to the old cap. It will be next week before I can get the correct part, but I'm very close (I think) to getting the unit operational and I don't want to wait for the part. I stopped by a Radio Shach and purchased two alternatives: 1) a 2.2k, 1/2 w carbon film, or 2) I can string together two 1k, 1w, plus two 100 ohm, 1w, medal oxide resistors. (1k + 1k + 100 + 100.) This would be a temporary fix until I get the right component.

I'd appreciate thoughts on which to use.

Thanks

1) No. McIntosh didn't use a 1 W resistor just for fun, so you're 1/2 W resistor might be overloaded.

2) Yes, this should work.
Since power is dissipated in four resistors instead of one, they might even be less than 1 W. For the 1k resistors, 1/2 W should suffice, for the 100R resistors 1/8 W is sufficient.

3) Yes, if the power the 2k2/1W resistor was designed to dissipate is somewhat less than 1 W (likely), this should work.
Because of tolerances, currents flowing through the parallelled resistors, aren't equal. Though, this is of little concern if the actual dissipation in the 2k2/1W resistor is not very close to 1 W.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the; If you had a 5 and a 3 gallon bucket how do you measure out 4 gallons of water?

Not at all suggesting using a lesser rated part, but out of curiosity (because sometimes there are other constraints or desires) is it possible to post a partial schematic or sketch of how this 2.2K resistor is used?

Just re-read your original post where it seems possible this resistor is a bleeder across the large bulk cap, this would dissipate approximately half its rating for a 33V supply, or maybe its just part of a shunt regulator.

Many thanks
-Antonio

Last edited:
T

Not at all suggesting using a lesser rated part, but out of curiosity (because sometimes there are other constraints or desires) is it possible to post a partial schematic or sketch of how this 2.2K resistor is used?

Just re-read your original post where it seems possible this resistor is a bleeder across the large bulk cap, this would dissipate approximately half its rating for a 33V supply, or maybe its just part of a shunt regulator.

Many thanks
-Antonio

It's R97.

thanks,

Attachments

• c24-ps.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 56
2) Yes, this should work.
Since power is dissipated in four resistors instead of one, they might even be less than 1 W. For the 1k resistors, 1/2 W should suffice, for the 100R resistors 1/8 W is sufficient.

3) Yes, if the power the 2k2/1W resistor was designed to dissipate is somewhat less than 1 W (likely), this should work.
Because of tolerances, currents flowing through the parallelled resistors, aren't equal. Though, this is of little concern if the actual dissipation in the 2k2/1W resistor is not very close to 1 W.

Whoops... my remark in 3) about not being to close to 1 W is not applicable when 1/2 W resistors are being used. It would be in case of 1/4 W resistors.
The division of power dissipated I wrote about in 2) obviously also applies to 3).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.