Low power Sub/crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Low power Sub/crossover

I'm building a Boombox/portable radio.
So far I've decided on the Overnight Sensation design for the main speakers and an "Indeed" amp based on the TA2020 chip (20 watts per channel)
But in the main box, where this amps going, I'd also like to put in a small sub (or pair).

What I need to figure out is the Subs power amp and some sort of active crossover to split the signal between the amps. These 2 parts can be combined or separate. They can be a kit, pre-assembled board or finished product that I hack up... it doesn't matter to me. I just have to be able to keep all the wiring inside the box and put the volume/freq control on the outside. So the plate amps I've seen wont work.

I've only found 1 suitable candidate but it required AC power sadly. And I'd like this to run off a 12v battery. It needs to be efficient and while size isn't too big of a problem, rack mount stuff definitely will not fit.

Any ideas?
Old 20th September 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Your easiest way would be to get hold of a car amp that has an inbuilt active crossover.

For the best use of a limited enclosure volume I would not go the satellite + sub approach, but rather just choose main speakers that can do better bass. Check out some good quality car door speakers, 6 inch maybe.
Old 20th September 2012, 07:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
Your easiest way would be to get hold of a car amp that has an inbuilt active crossover.

For the best use of a limited enclosure volume I would not go the satellite + sub approach, but rather just choose main speakers that can do better bass. Check out some good quality car door speakers, 6 inch maybe.
Nah... I already have it half built, and have a sub picked out thats about 60watts with about 0.6ft2 of volume which isn't so bad.

I heard the car amps line levels were screwy or some such? is that true?

Any preamps with built in crossovers?

Last edited by charliemopps; 20th September 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!