Focal amplifier heating too much - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Focal amplifier heating too much

Hi i have a pair of focal 2.150 amplifiers in car trunk, 2x150 W RMS into 4 ohm each amplifier

They are used to power dual components on front and rear crossed over at 80Hz

However they heat up too much after an hour use , SPL is siginificant but not distortion

If i compare it to old school amplifiers the nd heat sinking is just nominal

Now i intent to add a sheet of aluminium 1 inch thick on the top plate of amplifier which is anodized and brushed level surface with around 19x14 inch surface.

My question is would be it enough /recomended or should i consider adding heat sink in addition to aluminium sheet
Old 17th September 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

have it always been like this? it can be to hard load for it.
and how hot is it?
Old 17th September 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes always been very hot, after around 2 hours of operation you can very barely touch it.
Old 17th September 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

then my guess is that it is to hard load for it. you need to drop one of the speaker pairs. or connect them in series, so the load will be 8ohm.
Old 18th September 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

According to its spec sheet, it should be able to deliver 2x 200 W RMS into 2 Ohm loads continuously.
The amp has thermal overload protection, so you shouldn't be able to destroy it by overheating, and as long as the protection doesn't kick in, the amp is not running too hot.

If you still want to increase the heatsinking surface, I'd go for extra heatsinks instead of a thick aluminium plate (the latter mainly adds mass, but not that much extra surface). The heatsinks should be tightly attached to the top of the amps with some thermal grease in between.

Last edited by jitter; 18th September 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!