Focal amplifier heating too much

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i have a pair of focal 2.150 amplifiers in car trunk, 2x150 W RMS into 4 ohm each amplifier

They are used to power dual components on front and rear crossed over at 80Hz

However they heat up too much after an hour use , SPL is siginificant but not distortion

If i compare it to old school amplifiers the nd heat sinking is just nominal

Now i intent to add a sheet of aluminium 1 inch thick on the top plate of amplifier which is anodized and brushed level surface with around 19x14 inch surface.

My question is would be it enough /recomended or should i consider adding heat sink in addition to aluminium sheet

According to its spec sheet, it should be able to deliver 2x 200 W RMS into 2 Ohm loads continuously.
The amp has thermal overload protection, so you shouldn't be able to destroy it by overheating, and as long as the protection doesn't kick in, the amp is not running too hot.

If you still want to increase the heatsinking surface, I'd go for extra heatsinks instead of a thick aluminium plate (the latter mainly adds mass, but not that much extra surface). The heatsinks should be tightly attached to the top of the amps with some thermal grease in between.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.