adcom gfa 5200 thermal protection problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The left channel thermal protection is kicking in about 15 seconds after turning the amp on then cycling about 10 seconds on and ten off. Acts the same with nothing connected so it is not a issue with the speaker wire or external connections. Also not a heat issue because it starts happening when the amp is turned on and volume level is at zero. Any Ideas?

The only thing I can think of that could have caused it is 2 days ago a line level input was accidentally connected to my phono pre making all kinds of nasty noise at the speakers! However everything worked fine for about 5 hrs yesterday so if that was the cause it was not immediate.

Please keep in mind I am new! I know how to discharge a capacitor and what not to touch but am still at a very basic level!!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ok it is working again. The only thing different is it is plugged into the wall instead of the pre amp and I removed one of the internal fuses that looked to be bad and put it back after determining it as not.I did also move all the wires going to the led lights of the thermal protection display.

I am glad it is working again but but would like to know what caused the problem to begin with! Could it be the the outlet on the pre amp? Or would it more likely be something in the amp that I moved that could cause a problem again in the future?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.