replace adjustable regulator with fixed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the heatsinks has little to do with the current passing through it.
but more the voltagedrop. if one run 25V in and 12V out. you will need some "big sinks" to pull any current. but with 15V in and 12V out, thats a whole other story.
lets say 1A current. at 25V in. thats 13W dissipation. at 15Vin its only 3W.

I'll agree, but there is much to do with junction temperature (via the in-out differential, ie power dissipated in the reg, ie Tj), so heatsinking is quite relevant. There's current limiting and thermal shutdown to consider, so AndrewT is correct - it's treading into no-man's land.

Attachments

• peakamp.png
    peakamp.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Well, guess what, I disagree with "pretty darn stable".

For 15Vdc @ 2Adc, I'd use 230:12Vac, 100VA transformer operating from 240Vac, feeding a bridge rectifier and 4u7F of smoothing.

Apply a -6% mains voltage variation. i.e. 225.6Vac for a check on whether regulator drop out occurs.
Input to regulator becomes a worst case low of about 14.8Vdc +-200mV of ripple. Giving a Vin from 14.6Vdc to 15Vdc.

Now apply a +6% mains voltage variation, i.e. 254.4Vac. to check for maximum Pd.
Input to regulator becomes a worst case high of about 16.72Vdc +-200mV of ripple.

For a 2A output the transformer is running at 50% o maximum continuous output and the regulator Pd varies from ~5.6W to ~9.4W

That is not "pretty darn stable".

The questioner should do something along the same lines as I have shown and insert his own data to arrive at his operational Pd and how much it can vary for his/her mains voltage variation.

i don't know about you. but over here i have never had more then about 2-3% variation on mains.

Over here the line voltage can dip into the mid 90's and run as high as 128 during the summer == i had our electric company put a data logger on the main panel.

We had a competitor whose a.c. power was cut in the summer of 2007 -- their thermal curing ovens were powered by natural gas and didn't cut out quickly enough during the initial stage of a brownout -- what a mess!

If it's a low voltage application, I would try replacing the LM317 with one of the fixed voltage regulators in the LT1963A series -- there are 4 fixed voltage choices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.