Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Did you build this amp?

Hello,im new on this forum and i want to build an audio amplifier with irfp 240/9240 and i found this very simple schematic,i want to put 2 pairs of final stage,and remove all diodes includin the zener diodes,and betwin the colectors of 2sb716 /2sd756 put a superdiode stage,what do you think,it will work?regard,Adrian!
Old 16th September 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Hi there Adrian...... We need to see a schematic or at least a link so we can make a determination on your modifications....OK?

________________________________________________Ri ck........
Old 16th September 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry,my mistake,here is the original schematic
Attached Images
File Type: gif 100 watt mosfet power amplifier.gif (12.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 16th September 2012, 08:09 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I would not build it.
I certainly would not waste my money buying any components for it.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

When you see the zeners added as an afterthought, you can be be fairly sure that it is not a well planned design. The parts shown and rail voltages have all been changed at some time. Are these your amendments? According to the gate resistors and the balanced VAS design, it probably started as Hitachi's Lateral Mosfet application note design.

I think it will "work" but not with those bias arrangements or 60V rail voltages. How long do you think the input pair will survive? How many output pairs are needed with 60V rails and real 4R loads?

Simple designs can be good but they take a lot of careful planning to ensure that they work reliably when there are no safety circuits to prevent disaster. I'm afraid this is just too basic and not thought through as a complete power amplifier. There are many other simple, proven designs here on the Forum that will be much better for the small extra cost and assembly time.
Old 16th September 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

with +/-30V rails and 2 output pairs it will be closer to a working amp.
Old 16th September 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This is how i think the amp will work,please corect me if im rong,the t4 must be upsidedown,and the suply will be +/- 60v,it will work?thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100 watt mosfet power amplifier.jpg (133.1 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by adriancalibra; 16th September 2012 at 09:48 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!