Front end help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Front end help

hello.
Would somone please tell me the name of the front end topology of this amplifier?

Best Regards Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tang.JPG (100.5 KB, 247 views)
Old 15th September 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I suppose one could call it 'Symmetrical Differential'. It's just two normal resistively loaded LTPs of opposing polarity.
Old 15th September 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thankyou Jason.
could you tell me the main pros and cons of such a configration . compared to a sigle LTP??
Old 15th September 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think that's an attempt at a push-pull VAS (Q7,8) as well. You will see this in many high-end commercial designs where symmetry is the approach to a certain sound quality (H2 prominent) and, of course, the aesthetics too. e.g. Rotel have favoured it consistently.
Old 16th September 2012, 04:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think as Ian mentioned the double LTP is generally used for driving a 'push-pull' VAS. The symmetry, if well executed, seems to offer what some might say a palatable character to the sound. A certain amount of harmonic cancellation can be achieved this way. Cons as I see them really amount to added complexity. One could achieve really nice results without basically doing everything in the front end x2.
Old 16th September 2012, 05:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian .
This amplifier is from a budget range. yes the layout is quite symetrical too. if the componets where soldered in with some care it wouldlook pretty good. Asafter a few mods it is sounding much better . i have disconected the Preamp / control PCB as it was noisey and strangled the sound . I have also removed the dc blocking cap from the input of the power amp as my dac has no or ver yvery little dc on its output. That made a big diffrence most noticable was a much welcome reduction in sibulance type distortion .
Old 16th September 2012, 05:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason
Added complexity normally means added cost or so i thought. Im guessing it is an attempt to steal away business from the more prominent manufacturers. inside does look quite tidy compared to others i have seen in this price range ... A couple of questions . This amp runs cool very cool and the heatsink is very small too . I suspect it is running a quite low bias . maybe it could be increased . Also i dont see any compensation capacitors well that is if i ignore the two 100nF film caps . if the 100nF caps are for compensation are they not quite high in value as normslly i see the caps with only say 30 pF in these. C4 and C5 are the capacitors in question.
Old 16th September 2012, 06:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

in the above post i mention 100nf it should be 100pF
Old 16th September 2012, 01:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Benefits of complementary LTP.

1. Potential for reduction in input noise by up to 3dB.
2. Can be easier to control DC offset with cancellation of input currents - dependant on effort to match complementary Hfes.
3. Potential to reduce distortion.
4. Easy way to drive push-pull VAS.
5. It looks nice - to many people at least

There are drawbacks too. See Bob Cordell's book for a more detailed analysis. He is not a real fan of this layout.

Best wishes
David
Old 16th September 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtecchy View Post
Hi Jason
Added complexity normally means added cost or so i thought. Im guessing it is an attempt to steal away business from the more prominent manufacturers. inside does look quite tidy compared to others i have seen in this price range ... A couple of questions . This amp runs cool very cool and the heatsink is very small too . I suspect it is running a quite low bias . maybe it could be increased . Also i dont see any compensation capacitors well that is if i ignore the two 100nF film caps . if the 100nF caps are for compensation are they not quite high in value as normslly i see the caps with only say 30 pF in these. C4 and C5 are the capacitors in question.
Small signal stage costs are generally small compared to power supply, heat sink and chassis. It adds to the aesthetic and make some people feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Q8 looks like the emitter and collector are reversed. C4 and C5 would be plain old miller compensation caps and 100pF isn't necessarily out of line, depending on LTP and VAS currents. The emitter resistor values in the VAS degeneration also don't appear correct, and are not equal.

Also absent is any emitter degeneration of the LTP and an input filter. The feedback network values look suspect (40dB gain) and there is no input resistor to allow for bias currents.

As for bias, it may well be somewhat low. If the heat sink is particularly small I wouldn't try to bias it too heavily. Typical values for 'optimal bias' puts about 26mV across each resistor R26 and R23. Trying to make the class A region too big will result in a hot amplifier and gm doubling which some say is every bit as bad as under-biasing.

Is it safe to assume you have drawn this by tracing the physical circuit? That might explain some of the discrepancies...

Hide this!Advertise here!