What do you guys use to enclose your amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2012, 11:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What do you guys use to enclose your amps?

What kind of enclosures are you guys using for your amps? I see a lot of people using metal chassis but I have no idea how to do metalwork nor do I know where to get the raw materials. I'm decent at wood working but isnt it a bit weird to put pcbs, transformers and stuff in a wood enclosure?
Old 13th September 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Bud box, "rack" chassis, or for big bucks, nice pretty enclosures.
Is wood weird? No, that's where we started turn of the century. Even the Apple One was just a board screwed to a piece of plywood. Wood is not very good at RF shielding though. A bit of foil tape works like a charm.
Old 14th September 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

For my larger amps I use a pc case.
They are cheap compared to other options.
It also has a mains socket punched out.
It has a fan housing front and back. I use the fans with LED's in them and they look flash.
Old 14th September 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

my latest enclosure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echo FB.JPG (208.5 KB, 221 views)
Old 14th September 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

sakis. damn. so the UFO sitings is your amp that has been flying?
looks very nice
Old 14th September 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
For my larger amps I use a pc case.
They are cheap compared to other options.
It also has a mains socket punched out.
It has a fan housing front and back. I use the fans with LED's in them and they look flash.
Hi,
Are you talking about tower/mini tower or desktop cases? Apart from a few holes to cover requiring minimal effort, that sounds like an excellent idea.
Old 14th September 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Skyjham is offline Skyjham  Philippines
diyAudio Member

here's mine, fabricated # 18 GI sheet with DIY yamaha main amp.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th September 2012, 02:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You, sir, obviously have a $1500 shear, and probably a milling machine also.
I have an electric drill and a vise and a workbench.
For op amp projects like mixers or active filters, I use PCAT power supply boxes. They have the AC stuff already worked out. I have also built some low power supplies into them with transformers and the fan.
For bigger stuff, I have some VFD motor drive chassis in stainless steel boxes with a disconnect and a big aluminum neat sink on the back. You get these out of the dumpster at food factories. They blow them up a lot with the water hose. PCAT towers are good, but rather huge. Only one charity resale shop sells PC's in this county. Goodwill won't sell their donated PC's here, and it is illegal in Florida not to send them to the "recycle facility".
If you want more RF blocking than the stainless box can provide, salvage the heat sink and put it in a hinged top recipe case or file box. I get them for $2-#3 at the charity resale shop, or by the side of the road on garbage day. You can make odd size holes by drawing them out undersized with a sharpie marker, drilling a bunch of 1/8" holes in the outline with an electric drill, add one 3/8" hole in the middle. Then you connect the dots with an $8 Stanley carbide hacksaw blade in a $2 adjustable hacksaw frame. You do need a vise and a dirty workbench for this. Use safety glasses when drilling. Oh, holes over 1/2" dia are best made this way. The expensive 7/8 diameter bits etc with a 3/8" shank tend to break in sheet metal.

Last edited by indianajo; 14th September 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 14th September 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
You, sir, obviously have a $1500 shear, and probably a milling machine also.
I have an electric drill and a vise and a workbench.
For op amp projects like mixers or active filters, I use PCAT power supply boxes. They have the AC stuff already worked out. I have also built some low power supplies into them with transformers and the fan.
For bigger stuff, I have some VFD motor drive chassis in stainless steel boxes with a disconnect and a big aluminum neat sink on the back. You get these out of the dumpster at food factories. They blow them up a lot with the water hose. PCAT towers are good, but rather huge. Only one charity resale shop sells PC's in this county. Goodwill won't sell their donated PC's here, and it is illegal in Florida not to send them to the "recycle facility".
If you want more RF blocking than the stainless box can provide, salvage the heat sink and put it in a hinged top recipe case or file box. I get them for $2-#3 at the charity resale shop, or by the side of the road on garbage day. You can make odd size holes by drawing them out undersized with a sharpie marker, drilling a bunch of 1/8" holes in the outline with an electric drill, add one 3/8" hole in the middle. Then you connect the dots with an $8 Stanley carbide hacksaw blade in a $2 adjustable hacksaw frame. You do need a vise and a dirty workbench for this. Use safety glasses when drilling. Oh, holes over 1/2" dia are best made this way. The expensive 7/8 diameter bits etc with a 3/8" shank tend to break in sheet metal.
I use wood.
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05072012986.JPG (146.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 14th September 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSan View Post
sakis. damn. so the UFO sitings is your amp that has been flying?
looks very nice
gratsias

Hide this!Advertise here!